English English & American English

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
I'd bring up the different names for Smokes but that might be a little to offensive.

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
Can you please give me a light for my ***?

Can you please give me a light for my cigarette?

Might sound corny but I don't smoke so I am not exactly sure how you smokers would phrase that statement.

Last edited:

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
rrkss said:
Can you please give me a light for my ***?

Can you please give me a light for my cigarette?

Might sound corny but I don't smoke so I am not exactly sure how you smokers would phrase that statement.
We simply say, "Hey, got a light?"

"Can I borrow a light?"

"Can I bum a smoke of ya?"

That's about it.

;)

Lila

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
"Meh. At petsmart a few days ago I saw a woman buying 4 bettas for one tank."

I read this in another thread, by CBTF. Is "meh" a Canadian term? I think I've seen it used before.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Meh is an attempt to spell an emotion, I think.

What I find droll is the fact that there are actually more variances within American English than there are between American English and English English.

ksimmo1

AC Members
Aug 28, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I spent a couple weeks in London during my senior year in college. Towards the end of my stay I got lost trying to find my way back to the tube. I ended up following a couple signs that pointed me in the direction of a "subway" which led me to an underground street crossing. So, instead of realizing my mistake, I walked through the thing four or five times trying to fnd a train station somehow hidden in it. It was only until I scared a couple of 10 year old girls when I asked them where the subway was, while we were standing in it, that I figured out what happened.

Last edited:

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
ksimmo1 said:
I spent a couple weeks in London while during my senior year in college. Towards the end of my stay I got lost trying to find my way back to the tube. I ended up following a couple signs that pointed me in the direction of a "subway" which led me to an underground street crossing. So, instead of realizing my mistake, I walked through the thing four or five times trying to fnd a train station somehow hidden in it. It was only until I scared a couple of 10 year old girls when I asked them where the subway was, while we were standing in it, that I figured out what happened.
I'm sorry, but that is funny!

;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store