DIY LED Lighting Fixture

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Subscibed...
Planning a lighting system for a 20 long soon maybe I will go LED just for an experiment.

Just don't know a thint about them or have the knowlege yet to put it all together.

Best wishes,
Wes

keno

AC Members
doctaq;

I've been looking on the web and found an apogee model at aquarium specialty. I was looking at the PDF file and was not sure which model to get. I need one with a long sensor cable. At least 36" to be able to get the sensor to the bottom of my 200 gallon plus have a little room left over to hold the meter comfortably. Any suggestions on a model and a place to get them?

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
how is the growth friend? it seems like we are alone in the planted tank led world almost. i have plants growing up and out of the water and instead of getting fried from the heat of PCs or T5s they are just growing towards the leds. its pretty awesome.

ive been dosing a bit of excel and doing co2 but no ferts and i still have a bit of algae but the growth is pretty good.
This is where I have questions... is there any info re: PAR ratings for these LEDs?

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
yes but mostly for reefs as far as i know. leds are not as popular for the planted yet
It would be nice if the manufacturers of these things would put out some nice charts and graphs comparing output spectra and intensities of their wares as compared to the commonly used alternatives. This would allow the educated reefer or planted aquarium keeper to make some helpful comparisons.

If I knew for certain that I could get several years of service out of a certain number of LEDs for a cost that is favorable compared to replacing the 96W PC I use now, I'd be all over it.

DoctaQ

all your wheel are belong to us
Dec 12, 2008
Boston
its in the datasheet but you might not understand all of it if you dont read a bit into eletronics.
the thing is, leds are not manufactured for the aquarium industry, they are just made, mostly for flashlights now as far as i know, and trying to break into house lighting, but the aquarium trade is rather small they would not cater to us. if keno or myself get readings im sure they will be some of the first led for planted tank readings we've seen.

the datasheet does have information in the form of lumens, but only the total emission, not the lux at certian distances, and especially not through water. i would say leds can definateley grow plants, and with no need for dimming and fewer number of leds, the build could cost half of what a saltwater build for the same size would cost

sorry keno, didnt mean to hijack, ill cut it out =)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store