Question about heaters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
50, 100, and 150 watt Aqueon heaters have a thermal fuse inside them. If they overheat (such as running dry) the fuse burns out and the heater is dead. The light will come on but it will no longer heat. Sounds like this is what is happening here. Did you forget to unplug the heater during a water change anytime recently? That would do it.

I would suggest using an Aqueon Pro heater which is made of unbreakable plastic and aluminum and comes with a thermal switch (the switch will reset when the heater cools down after an overheat). Or you could just go back to the Aqueon glass heater and remember to unplug it before doing a water change.

Andy

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
Personally I use 2 heaters in about every tank at half the wattage. At least if one fails the other will keep the temperature reasonable. If they stick closed it can't overheat the tank.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
50, 100, and 150 watt Aqueon heaters have a thermal fuse inside them. If they overheat (such as running dry) the fuse burns out and the heater is dead. The light will come on but it will no longer heat. Sounds like this is what is happening here. Did you forget to unplug the heater during a water change anytime recently? That would do it.

I would suggest using an Aqueon Pro heater which is made of unbreakable plastic and aluminum and comes with a thermal switch (the switch will reset when the heater cools down after an overheat). Or you could just go back to the Aqueon glass heater and remember to unplug it before doing a water change.

Andy
i don't think so........and even if i did.......my WCs are a bit diff. on small tanks like 10Gs

So i empty 1/2 of it, but while i do so, i fill a 5G bucket with water.........and the heater is FULLY submerged at least 5" below water line........so with those odds, 1 out of 10 times it would be out of water for 30 seconds........this is what i do for all my tanks.......under 29Gs.............

i will take a look at the aqueon pro

i haven't ordered yet bc i forgot;)
tonight or in a few hours

i think maybe that is what happened^ but im not sure

i have done this with my 100 watt aqueon and nothing has ever happened

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Personally I use 2 heaters in about every tank at half the wattage. At least if one fails the other will keep the temperature reasonable. If they stick closed it can't overheat the tank.
yeah, good idea;) I will keep the replacement from aqueon as a backup

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
k, ordered the heater;) thanks.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
"i don't think so........and even if i did.......my WCs are a bit diff. on small tanks like 10Gs

So i empty 1/2 of it, but while i do so, i fill a 5G bucket with water.........and the heater is FULLY submerged at least 5" below water line........so with those odds, 1 out of 10 times it would be out of water for 30 seconds........this is what i do for all my tanks.......under 29Gs............."

In any case a blown thermal fuse is the reason your heater is not working. No other cause can achieve the same result.

It's a good idea to unplug any aquarium heater BEFORE you start draining the tank. That's just good safety advice.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store