Conskis 3rd attempt at a Solana Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Ammonia already at 8.0.. cycles moving along nicely :) no trites yet though

While were at it. These are my stocking options.

After the stocking options im dosing the **** out of the tank with copepods

1.) Pair of Clowns (preferably one of the more mutated types)
2.) A trio of Bangali(sp) cardinal fish http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1500+2672&pcatid=2672&emailconf=2672 i have them email me when available , been checking divers den as well

Ideas:
3.) A Mystery wrasse (i know ace will be against this with other things in the tank as well)
4.) Blue Spotted Jaw Fish
as for my clean up crew, ill probably get 15 hermits, 10 snails, My giant conch to stir up sand), and 5 turbo snails.

Also i will be buying these LEDS and a lid for the tank will be constructed so im not worried about jumpers

IMAG0253.jpg

Last edited:

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I hope you pulled the shrimp out.. 8 on ammonia is sky high.. going to take some time for bacteria to be able to grow and take care of that high of an ammonia reading, but good news is when the cycle is done, you will have a very good cycled tank with lots of bacteria.

What LEDs? ;)

Ya, not a fan of the mystery wrasse, seen to many bad ones, and they get pretty big from the ones I have seen in large tanks (400G). They eat shrimp like potato chips when they get that big. I would much rather have a more peaceful wrasse myself, like a flasher wrasse (McCoskers is my favorite flasher) or of course, a leopard wrasse, although I think your tank may be to small for a leopard, but I think it is definitely to small for a mystery, they get bigger than any leopard I have seen.

Bluespotted jawfish though, VERY nice fish. Love those guys, seen them many times in tanks, but unfortunately never known anyone to keep one alive for more than a year, they always seem to jump out, even in the most well thought of tank to prevent that. They are like an octopus, they will find any weakness in the sealed top and find their way though. So just make sure your tank is 100% escape proof.

Jmski333

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Real Name
Jordan
I would stay away from turbo snails, They are like the bulldoser of snails. I would say 5 snails and 5 hermits would be just fine. If you need that much clean up crew then we did something wrong lol. By the sounds of it a blue spotted jawfish wouldn't work too well due to the fact you want to have an open lid tank, which is a shame.

What LEDs? ;)
I believe he is gonna go with the Reef brite LED actinic strips. I bought one for my tank and it mounted on my ATi sunpower like it belonged there and is the same color and everything. conski has the same light scaled down which should yield the same outcome. Reefbrite is the cat's pajamas when it comes to LED strips.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
The only negative I can see with the Reef Brite LEDs is they do not have any optics on them, so they will do little in regards to providing corals with much more usable light than the T5s, but they will add an extra "POP" to the corals if you get the Actinic strip, which is great for chalices, and they will also provide the shimmer effect that the T5s do not. So in your case Conski, I do think they would be a good choice because your ATI fixture is already good enough for all your corals, the LEDs will just add the extra wow factor to the tank.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
The red tail flasher wrasse has always been a favorite, I was thinking of one of them I've heard they're quite peaceful and they fit the size requirements of my tanks. Also I do want to use a lid so jumping isn't an option.. I've seen a custom built solana top made of mesh a while back is love to recreate

The leds are for nothing more then a shimmer and color!

The shrimp is out of the tank btw

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Are you thinking of 1/4" clear mesh like Bulk Reef Supply sells? That may work but still a chance of making it through. Not sure how they can make it, it seems too small to jump through, but I know others that tried that and it didn't work out.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
haha well i do have the glass top, but i lost the clips 0_o now that i dont have a huge eye soar of a skimmer on the side it would fit too. ill look into replacing them.

i kind of have my heart set on a BSJF so i wouldnt mind going out of my way to make it work.

What do you think of the hydor mini skimmer ace? its better then nothing and fits in the back chamber of the solana.. seems as worth it as a tunze which ive heard is a hassle and half to get settled into.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with a skimmer, my 55G doesn't have a skimmer or reactor and it is doing 100x better than my 75G that has a $300 skimmer and dual reactors on it.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
WOW! What a game!! Go Bills!!!!! That was one of the most intense games I have seen in a long time. I thought it was over at 1/2 time, who would have thought the Bills would score on every drive in the 2nd half.. wow.. I literally have a natural high from watching that game. I can't wait to go to work tomorrow and shove it in all the Raiders fans faces. :D

:cheers:

Sorry to all the others that were expecting an aquarium related post, Conski is from Buffalo and I am a huge Buffalo Bills fan.

Jmski333

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Real Name
Jordan
I'm glad to see that you were able to watch the skimmer video conski, if it's in your budget i think it'd help you more than hurt you. And just so you know i have plenty of extra 1/4" BRS mesh that ace was talking about. I just recently (2 weeks ago) did the mesh screen mod to my tank.

GO BILLS!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store