Tiger Barb: Couple Questions in School Size and Odd Behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
The interactions among the Tiger Barbs are common to most barbs, just so you know. And indeed many of the smaller shoaling fish, such as the danios, characins and rasbora will have some form of interaction that can vary from type to type and species to species. But barbs being barbs, it is normally very pronounced which is why they are termed an active swimmer. My 14 Black Ruby Barbs are always on the go, and spawning regularly with eggs literally flying; the Congo Tetra do the same, and also spawn regularly. The loaches have a real feast with all these eggs. I still think that for what you are planning a different barb would be better, but that is up to you. However, we must all remind ourselves that it is not what we want, but what the fish need, that matters in an aquarium.

Byron.

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
The interactions among the Tiger Barbs are common to most barbs, just so you know. And indeed many of the smaller shoaling fish, such as the danios, characins and rasbora will have some form of interaction that can vary from type to type and species to species. But barbs being barbs, it is normally very pronounced which is why they are termed an active swimmer. My 14 Black Ruby Barbs are always on the go, and spawning regularly with eggs literally flying; the Congo Tetra do the same, and also spawn regularly. The loaches have a real feast with all these eggs. I still think that for what you are planning a different barb would be better, but that is up to you. However, we must all remind ourselves that it is not what we want, but what the fish need, that matters in an aquarium.

Byron.

See, I have kept other schooling fish in the past and never noticed interactions THIS pronounced. Other small shoaling fish I have had in the past have been more... "mindless" for lack of a better term.

I will definitely keep an eye out on things. If it doesn't work out I will move on to something else.

dbcb314

Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
What tank size would you recommend for 10 tiger barbs?

I have done got attached (and my son likes them) and I keep reading what you guys are saying and i think for all the fish involved it may be a good idea to separate instead of waiting for something bad to happen. Kind of sick of stressing out about. Everything is still going well since the addition of the hiding spots but still...

What size tank would work for 10 tiger barbs and some ground feeders like cory cats or some sort of small armored hiding catfish? Would a 30 gallon work? i am thinking about just buying another tank for them instead of giving him away... I don't have room for a large tank though

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I had a school of 12 in a 29g for a couple years before moving. They weren't hard on water quality. When I moved and got a 4 foot tank, they were much more enjoyable to watch, and the dominant ones grew a little bigger. So while a 29 worked, the 60 worked much better.

It's also hard to feed bottom feeders with them once they figure out food is on the bottom. My bristle noses defended their food, but cories were chased away by the barbs, unless the lights had been off for a while and I didn't wake them up. Distracting barbs with other foods doesn't always work

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
What tank size would you recommend for 10 tiger barbs?

I have done got attached (and my son likes them) and I keep reading what you guys are saying and i think for all the fish involved it may be a good idea to separate instead of waiting for something bad to happen. Kind of sick of stressing out about. Everything is still going well since the addition of the hiding spots but still...

What size tank would work for 10 tiger barbs and some ground feeders like cory cats or some sort of small armored hiding catfish? Would a 30 gallon work? i am thinking about just buying another tank for them instead of giving him away... I don't have room for a large tank though
I think this is a wise decision, and I thank you for being conscientious about the fish. And yes, a 30g (standard 29g) is minimum for a group of Tiger Barb, and ten is minimum for numbers. You might consider a couple more, for a nice dozen. And I have heard that the Green does well mixed with the regular Tiger.

Glabe is correct on the feeding issue with substrate fish. All barbs are on the feisty side, very "out in your face" type of fish, which always means fairly aggressive (here, not in the negative sense of damage) feeders. Mine are always picking up the sinking foods for the loaches, but I feed sufficient that they don't go hungry. This is in a 4-foot 90g however. And feeding post-darkness (meaning total darkness in the room, as any ambient room light will enable upper fish to continue as if in daylight) for nocturnal fish also works. A group of corys (7-9) of a robust species should be OK with this.

Byron.

dbcb314

Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
I am picking up a 36 bowfront this afternoon to put them in.

Gonna put the tank in my son's room. He loves the activity of the fish especially when they eat. Wife my kill be though lol.

Thanks for the advice. Good thing I made this thread. I think everyone involved will be happier.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Regarding your wife, I've learned that asking forgiveness after buying something without her permission is easier than asking permission in the first place, lol.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
^ true that

dbcb314

Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
What Heath says is true, but there is unfortunately more to this. And I see a problem here.

I always counsel against cichids with Tiger Barbs or similar fish that tend to fin nip. The temptation is too great. Cichlids are all fairly sedate fish; they rarely swim much (in the sense that barbs are active swimmers), preferring to cruise around poking at the substrate, bogwood, plant leaves for tidbits of food. Most cichlids have fins that frequently wave a bit. All of this is like the red flag in front of a bull. The barbs like the bull may not attack, but experience shows they often will.

The other thing is that once the barbs have begun nipping, they rarely stop no matter what changes. Adding more will not hurt, but don't expect the nipping to cease. It may increase or stay the same.

As for the Firemouth, although this is a mildly aggressive cichlid, it is also a very nervous fish; external noise will stress it, and tankmates must not be aggressive or boisterous. An aquarium with plenty of branches and floating plants will suit it admirably. It prefers quiet water, so the filter flow should not be excessive. The nipping of the barbs may well "destroy" this fish if not quickly resolved; by destroy I do not mean kill it, but this sort of bullying usually if not always causes severe stress which when it becomes acute as it quickly does, means permanent internal damage and a weakened fish.

I would recommend you consider which of two options you have. First is to stay with your intended cichlids, in which case I would re-home the Tiger Barb now and find more suitable fish. There are some nice barbs that would work well...one that comes to mind is the Black Ruby; it has a somewhat similar pattern, plus that beautiful ruby red head and almost totally black of the mature males. I have a group of these in with Congo Tetra, also flowing fins, without any problems, and I have had this combo for three years. I recently added more young barbs (Black Rubys) and they too have not even looked at the Congo's fins. You have the space and could increase the Firemouths; they do well in a small groups. In its natural habitat this species is always found in such groups, though not strictly a "shoaling" fish like the barbs; nervous fish do find security with others around them, and this is no doubt the case here.

Second option is to stay with the Tigers, and up the group, but remove the Firemouth and forget cichlids. Other barbs, danios, substrate fish are possible.

Hope this helps.

Byron.
You mention black ruby barbs with the Firemouth and similar cichlids...

What other school fish would you recommend? They need to be big bodied enough to not get eaten by polys (just the smaller upper jaws) and not be nippers of course.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store