Anemones

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Mar 29, 2007
I just want to raise awareness on how hard anemones are really to take care of

1. Size: like almost all creatures, they start off small, and the worst part about it is that they are sold small but they get big, im talking foot longs, try fitting the magnificent anemone (Heteractis Magnificent) in a 10 gallon tank.
2. Dietary needs: Might be surprised to hear that you dont really need to feed them, actually feeding them can be bad since they do poop and there poop can really mess up the water quality, an even worse thing is to feed them a whole fish or freshwater fish, the whole fish's skeleton wont digest and will be regurgitated in a messy glob that will rot and damage the water parameters pretty badly, feeding them freshwater feeder goldfish wont give them the proper dietary needs and it will just go wasted or even worse, kill the anemone, how many goldfish do you think the anemone eats in the wild?
3. Light: Strong, incredibly strong, high lumens, high watts, they are 95% photosynthetic (well not them, the algae that resides in there tissues) and a simple flourecent tube wont do, were talking MH lights mixed with T5 or PC. Some say they need at least 10 wpg of MH light and some blue actinic lights, others say 15 wpg, some say the light has to be MH cause of the lumens. Not exactly in the budget of most people
4. Water conditions: Pristine, 0 ammonia AT ALL TIMES, 0 nitrite AT ALL TIMES, <5 nitrate AT ALL TIMES, not many people can do this, and to make matters worse if you feed them the wrong food, they will spit the food up, the food will rot, the rotting food raises ammonia, the ammonia spike kills the anemone. Water conditions is the hardest thing to do for anemones.
5. Wild conservation: Although this doesnt apply to all anemones, bubble tip and carribean anemones are doing ok in the wild, but most anemones die in captivity even in the care of experts drastically lowering the wild count, if an expert has trouble keeping them alive, then how can a beginner have one successfully.

So maybe you like little cute clownfish and think they need an anemone, well they dont, they can live very happily without an anemone. Maybe you like the look of a clown and an anemone, well there are things to do about that, it is not rare for a clown to host mushrooms or polyps, and the great thing about both those corals is that they are very easy to take care of.

Please if you are a beginner and cant provide the things i told you about, then dont buy them, please

Of course not all anemones are like this, its very easy to keep aipstasia anemones, what you need to worry about aipstasias is the taking them out.

Aipstasias are ok in a species tank, they can work in those 5 gallon set ups, the problem with these occur in fish tanks, having a very nasty sting it can kill many different corals and even some fish. If you like these set up there own species tank. There is a great article about these in the saltwater article section

Last edited:

Longinus

American Eel
Mar 18, 2007
midwest
Thanks for this guide. I know that before I did my research I was tempted at making an anemone/clown combo my first add after I got my tank up and running.

Im just glad I did my research and avoided one. Hopefully all noobs such as myself will read something like this and avoid the anemone :)

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Wonderful advice. The only thing I would do is highlight that more negative aspects of aipstasia anemones if you are going to mention adding them to a tank. They can cause some serious major problems pretty fast. Some people don't realize how bad they can be and add them thoughtlessly in place of a nonpest anemone.

Mar 29, 2007
ok i edited it about the aipstasia

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
ok i edited it about the aipstasia
Thats great, quick question though. You mention they sting fish, would a clown be included in that catagory? Could they host in aiptasia anemones? I know clowns host to anemones but I have never heard anyone address that question specificially.

Germanman

My fish are my babies
this is a very nice post but i feel its is a bit to generalized. also it felt like it had a harsh tone to it just a bit. its nice to see u tying to help out but im afraid that information doesn't not apply to all anemones and like all things it has many variations. i feel this post may end up discouraging some people just a bit. but i know where you are coming from. nitrates can be in the ranges below 10 for most and even up to 20 for a few species. also they need some feeding every so often but nothing like most people recommend. i feed mine just a few times a year and my clown feeds it krill every so often. like u said they rely on the zooxanthellae mostly. as for lighting strong t-5s and powercompacts work perfectly but halides are the best. i had my bubble tip under 2 65w pcs for over 2 years and it not only tripled in size but also asexually reproduced several times. it is now under halides and i agree that they seem happier under halides but i noticed no color change nor change in growth, (just extends tentacles a bit longer). the fact on conservation was also a good one to bring up and i feel it's best to only get bubble tips form fellow reefers or aquaculture rather than wild caught plus they are much hardier. :)im not trying to start an argument here because u are very knowledgeable:read: from what i have seen since u joined AC but im just getting a few other points of view out there so some people don't get discouraged. id say the minimum for nems is a 55 gallon and a 75 would be even better. but condys can be kept in as small as 35-40...see what i mean generalizations..now im doing it lol...
also the tank should always be mature before ever adding one i would say no less than 6 months after the cycle completed but 8 months to a year are even better....but then again i added mine about 2 months into my reef...but had many years experience and 10 years aged live rock so i had no cycle....things vary from person to person...good to see an awareness out there though hopefully this thread like others said will help lots of new people.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2007
ok, well when i wanted a anemone for a 20 gallon tank i was hammered by all the posts saying no (which of course i listened to) and they told me this stuff, im sorry if it is too generalized, if a mod or someone wants to fix it they may.

Feeding them food can be good to help them grow faster or condition them for a split i think, but you dont HAVE to i dont think

As for clowns and anemones, clowns dont NEED anemones, anemones dont NEED clowns. In the wild they both have each other for dietary purposes and protection, in captivity there diet comes from a hand at the top of the water and there protection comes from the owners common sense so they dont need to be together.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
No need to change it, between yourself, Musho, and Germanman's post, it explains the subject..

Anemone care and instructions are different for the varieties that people can purchase. It is ultimatly down to the individual to do his/her own research as well when they have settled on a type of nem they would like to keep..

The three aspects that are always common are for the tank to be mature, keep prestine water conditions and the correct lighting.

Niko

Mar 29, 2007
gotta bump this

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store