3D Background, Still Unfinished. What Do You Think So Far?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
I'm still puttering away slowly at getting this thing done, and currently, am waiting for the marine epoxy I ordered to arrive.

I also still need to paint it up, and get it looking like it can match the castle to a certain extent.

Mounting this is going to be a pain in the a**. I will need to have some sticks to hold it up, and press it securly against the glass until the silicone dries (you can see me testing things out, such as a paint stick) and then once it's in there, I will need to cover up the crack in the middle, paint that fixed piece, and seal it up as well.... all inside of the aquarium.

The hardest part I can see, is getting inside that little cave, and I'm seriously considering turning that into another inlet for water to get to the filter.

Once it's all mounted, it becomes permenant, and the undergravel filter will not be able to be removed easily (if ever) and that leaves me having to clean out a bunch of cement, and grout dust inside of tyhe tank that broke off the background.

Input and opnions please?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
The two holes towards the top look like windows...and just to the right of the castle it looks like a scream ( the film ) mask face....lol..

No, seriously, i think it will look really smart when its finished. Just hope you dont have to remove the UGF in a hurry..What actual colour do you have in mind to paint it with?

Niko

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looks good!

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
The two holes towards the top look like windows...and just to the right of the castle it looks like a scream ( the film ) mask face....lol..

No, seriously, i think it will look really smart when its finished. Just hope you dont have to remove the UGF in a hurry..What actual colour do you have in mind to paint it with?

Niko
The holes towards the top are the outlets for my UGF .... I think it should give a decent effect when its all underwater and up and running.

As for the scream mask, lol I hadnt noticed that before.
But that will either be a cave for the fishes (the inside is actually looking kind of small now, with the cement layers and such) or I might turn it into another intake for the filter.

Colours??? Thats really where Im stuck I guess.
I know the tank will have darker lighting, And im thinking of painting it ALL black, as a first coat, or even a really dark grey, and then adding in some burgandy and sky blue bits, to sort of match the castle colouring.

I'm not really sure what to do about the colours, and Im hoping someone could chime in and offer some advice on that aspect of it all.

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
the two ugf outlets would look great with two moon lights in them..should get a shimmering effect as the water comes through the holes...

As for colour...i would agree with a black background, and then maybe a mix of grey/blue and put it on in a kind wash effect...will enhance the the colours of the fish because its dark and would give a dramatic effect for the castle as it would look like its against dark shrouded sky...

Just an opinion of course...I think you have made a a real good job of it mate..

Niko

Marv_Levy

AC Members
Mar 22, 2007
i like the background not a fan of castles in fish tanks though. But thats just me.

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
the two ugf outlets would look great with two moon lights in them..should get a shimmering effect as the water comes through the holes...

As for colour...i would agree with a black background, and then maybe a mix of grey/blue and put it on in a kind wash effect...will enhance the the colours of the fish because its dark and would give a dramatic effect for the castle as it would look like its against dark shrouded sky...

Just an opinion of course...I think you have made a a real good job of it mate..

Niko
That moonlight idea is an amazing idea, But how would I manage to get a couple of LEDs in each one of those holes, while keeping them, and wires hidden, and dry.

Possibly come in from behind the uptake tubes, through the foam, but then Id need to drill a hole into the tubes to mount them somehow.... Which isn't so hard, But keeping them dry, with a low profile, Is.

I could maybe even put the LEDs at the bottom of the tubes, and have them shine up into the tube.

Hole crap guy, your a genius..... Im going to buy LEDs A.S.A.P :D

i like the background not a fan of castles in fish tanks though. But thats just me.
I have to admit, Originally, the castle would have looked pretty good, because I hadn't planned on doing the background like that, But now I'm honestly half considering selling it on ebay or something, and doing something else for a decoration.
Although my GF picked it, and likes it, and it cost $80 CAD.... So I'd kind of like to at least see it "used" if it is going to be sold as such :D

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
ha ha ha ha ha....in fact, at the bottom of the tubes would be even better and shinning upwards....You can buy the water-proofed ( well, can in the UK ), so that is easy to overcome...

Niko

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
got a link for any of t he water proof mounts?

I got a very very well stocked electronics shop here, that gives me DEEP discounts thanks to my dads rep, and business there for his work.

So I'm sure I could get them if I had some kind of part number or something, But I'd like to see them too, to judge how they might fit in the tubes.

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store