What meaty foods (squid,clam,oysters, ETC) for fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
What meaty foods can you get more fish? Like foods you can get at the grocery.

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Maybe keep away from the squid, but with that many hermits you won't have to worry about any not getting eaten by the fish. My favorite is when I pick up a couple of kg's of live baby clams (vongola) from the fish markets for a meal, I always chuck a few into the tank, they bury them selfs into the sand, then get hunted down by the hermits, dug up, and they just sit there applying opening pressure with a couple of legs while picking at there little filter tubes, eventually they succumb and it's a food fest for all. It provides days, even weeks of entertainment\food.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I feed all the meats you mentioned to fish and i also use scollaps, clam, silversides and krill, blend it, add some Nori and Garlic, fill up the ice trays and freeze it..A very good, cheap way to create your own healthy food for the fish...

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
Eh vongola clams?

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Don't worry, they aren't the the clams your thinking of. do a google on "vongola baby clams", you will realize they are a culinary delight. I first learned about them when in Rome, they are similar to pipi's but smaller and tastier, they need to be alive to cook, hence why they make great fish food.

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Oops, I just realized! When I was last in Tahiti, I actually ate raw marinated giant clam... yes I know.. just like the ones at the LFS, I did feel a moment of guilt, until I tasted it!

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
Eww raw clam...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store