65g Reef Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pseudoblond

Drawn to Shiny Things
Mar 30, 2004
Phoenix, Az
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
Yay - my first reef tank log!!
So, I got my 65g acrylic bowfront tank put together, coralife skimmer up and running (turning off while cycling though), seio 620 powerhead up and running, 60 lbs of sand, and filled with water but haven't added salt yet (doing that tonight). I'm getting 65 lbs of cured live fiji rock on Saturday. I'll put up some pics this weekend when I get the rock in the tank. I found a water store just around the corner that sells ro/di water, which is great cuz next closest fish store is 20 miles away. I have 2 pc actinic 65w bulbs I need to replace, but have 2 65w 50/50 bulbs in working order right now, but I'm not using lights until after cycle - I'll end up with 4 wpg. I plan on staying FOWLR for about 6 months (or until I feel comfortable) then I plan to add a few beginner corals here and there.
Whoo - so theres my plan! I can't wait until I get the rock and it starts looking like a "real" tank...you know what I mean....:clap: :clap: :clap:

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Nice! I love reading logs. Definitely keep us updated.

Oh yeah, and pictures are a plus...;)

pseudoblond

Drawn to Shiny Things
Mar 30, 2004
Phoenix, Az
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
Live Rock Added

Well, that guy had some sweeeeet live rock, and quite a selection, and he sells fish and supplies. Had quite a few tanks, very nice looking inhabitants - if anyone in the Phoenix area is looking for live rock, you gotta take a look at what he has - starting fiji cured at $3/lb, and has 10 or so different types of LR.
Anyways, first stab at building the reef - theres some things I may change but I like the overall setup.

SG 1023
ph 8.3
temp 80

Will add better pics later, camera outta batteries - these are from my cel phone - better than nothing!

tank.jpg tankclose1.jpg tankclose2.jpg

pseudoblond

Drawn to Shiny Things
Mar 30, 2004
Phoenix, Az
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
Better Pics

I forgot to put I added a Seio 820 powerhead and the rock I added was 70 lbs total - every single piece I got from that guy and it came to just under $240. I'm having issues with sand moving around with the current, I thought I had 'em angled right but this morning there were ripples in the sand and little sand "puddles" on the rocks. I have the currents collidingin front, and so far I can't find any dead spots...any suggestins on powerhead placement?

And here are some better pics...

IMG_0882.JPG IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0885.JPG IMG_0884.JPG

Longinus

American Eel
Mar 18, 2007
midwest
that looks fantastic!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store