Aquatic Software Database

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
After finding a few random threads on what software to use for tracking tank maintenance, and parameters, I thought it might be a good idea to keep track of them all in one thread.

I have tested all of these programs lightly, and have included a rating out of 5 based on my own personal opinion of said program.
The software that I have actually purchased, will be marked with an asterisk.

AquarioGest* - Purchase Only, No Demo($33 USD) - 5/5
Every day, with AquarioGest, you can easily :
  • manage all data of your aquariums
  • keep track of all your fish events
  • save information about your aquatic plants
  • enter date and control water tests
  • schedule maintenance tasks
  • record all events in a real logbook
  • log breedings and cares of your fish
  • manage all your expenses and incomes
Aqualog - Freeware - 2/5
Aqualog is a Microsoft Windows application that can be used to monitor and log any number of marine, reef, or freshwater aquariums. It is designed for both hobbyist and professional use, providing a convenient way to track water test results, maintenance items (such as water changes and chemical additions), and to keep an annotated log of observations. Click the image to the right to see a screen shot of the main AquaLog screen.
Aquarium Lab* - Shareware($29.95 USD) - 3.5/5
Aquarium Lab allows you to keep track of you aquarium like a scientist, no degree needed. The program is built for easy data entry, and supports multiple fresh and saltwater aquariums simultaneously.
Aquarix - Shareware($9.99 EURO) - 3/5
Aquarix is an easy to use to use software for managing aquarium data. It collects all critical data of your tanks, fish, plants, measurements, creates statistics, diaries, data tables and many other useful information. It helps you keep track of maintenance tasks for your tanks and reminds you when lights have to be changed due to expired lifetime. Its many features enable you to keep your animals as healthy as possible, for example by leading you to the cause of diseases, showing you when to change water and enabling you to see what trend the water measurements follow.
Chucks Planted Aquarium Calculator - freeware - 4/5
a downloadable windows application that includes the Nutrient Calculator, CO2 Calculator, and CO2 Chart
Reefcon LT/Pro - freeware/shareware($19.00 USD) - 4/5
The World's Best Aquarium Software just got better; ReefCon Pro is the Pinnacle of Aquarium Software. Designed to be easy to use and packed with features that aquarists demand.
Tank Logger - Open Source - 2.5/5 (This is a web based, PHP script.)
An Open Source system for storing information about an aquarium. Primarily geared towards marine aquariums, it is suited for freshwater environments as well.

Neale Monks Software
The programs listed below can all be obtained from the same site. they are also available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Brack Calc - Freeware - 3/5
Brack Calc is a tool for using specific gravity and temperature to calculate salinity. Designed primarily for aquarists keeping brackish water fish. Toggles results in Metric and US units.
FishBase Client - Freeware - 3/5
FishBase Client is a tool for quickly accessing information on the FishBase web site by species, genera, common name, and family. FishBase is an online scientific database describing virtually every species of fish known. It is an essential resource for advanced aquarists. It is, however, rather slow, but by using FishBase Client the user can very quickly get to the information required.
Can I Keep It?/More Can I Keep It? - Freeware - 4/5
These are simple applications for introducing newbie aquarists to the art of choosing fish for the community aquarium. When you click on the names of the fish you are interested in, incompatible species are dimmed. A brief explanation of any problems specific to the fish are noted in the text box at the bottom of the application window.
Fish Tank Tool - Freeware - 4/5
Fish Tank Tool performs a variety of tasks such as calculating the volume and surface area of an aquarium, estimating the number of fish that can be kept in it safely, and quickly converting between different units of temperature, length, and salinity. It is designed for aquarists keeping freshwater and brackish water aquaria.
SoftWaterWare - Freeware - 4/5
SoftWaterWare is an electronic version of the Pearson’s Square, and allows the aquarist to quickly work out the ratios of (hard) tap water to (soft) rainwater required to make up water of a desired hardness for the aquarium.
If you know of any that I missed, please feel free to add them to the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

KnaveTO

AC Members
Jun 7, 2007
Toronto, ON, Canada
I have purchased Aquarix and Aquario and am testing them against each other.

KnaveTO

AC Members
Jun 7, 2007
Toronto, ON, Canada
Alright... having now installed and entered all my data into AquarioGest... I am wondering if software is a good idea... It tallies up not only my expenses but my electrical bill too... and lets just say that my reaction was something like this :eek3: :jaw: :eek3:

Well better not let the building management see that... they pay the electrical... :evil_lol:

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
there are a couple available for mac.....though i dont specifically know which ones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store