Great Books for Newbie

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Thought I'd start a thread about books we've found useful for others to stumble upon.

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists
Robert Fenner

Gives great advice to anyone that wants to get into the hobby including those that have already started their tanks. Full of photos and diagrams. may I've talked to consider this the bible for new SW aquarists. You should be able to find it in your LFS or online. I bought mine here: http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=BKCMAS

Reef Aquarium Fishes: 500+ Essential To Known Species
Scott Michael

A standard paperback sized book that I've dog earred in just 3 months time. It is very easy to use and each fish has a color photo, latin and generic name, compatibility keys, max size and often times a written description. You'll discover fish you love that you never even heard of before. It's size is great for taking with you to the LFS store so you can have a reference when the cute little panther grouper catches your eye and the the LFS employee tells you that sure you can put it in your nano cube. I paid about $14 for it at my local Borders.
http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Expert...5467027?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183932405&sr=1-5

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Grins: great thread.

I would add the companion to reef aquarium fishes which is

Marine Invertebrates: 500+ essential-to-know aquarium species
Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D.

A paperback sized book that contains 450 color photographs, captive care & feeding advice and provides some on-line resources. I review it before going to the LFS to make sure I can house what I am looking for, also my LFS has the book on the counter becuase it's the one they use.

The book I have used over-and-over before I bought was

Natural Reef Aquariums: simplified approaches to creating living saltwater microcosms
John H. Tullock

Explains everything from filtration, lighting, aquascaping, stocking and feeding. For me it has been a great general book for reef keeping.

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
Quick question on the books.

Is the information in these books updated to current knowledge? I ask because the books I used when I first started don't even have information about Refugiums...lol. They were good at that time though.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
For the Reef Aquarium book I have....I looked and nothing on the fuge. I got all that online. Has everything else, even as basic as mixing salt. SifPiPup do you know of a good up to date book?

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
No. I was hoping someone here would. I still will probably get Robert Fenner's book though. It seems to be the one book that everyone can agree is worth it to a newb.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Fenner does discuss refugiums in his book but it is very limited. Instead of getting into detail on issues like that he gives it an overview and then you'd go off and research which method works best for you on forums like this. I think he did that for two reasons. One so the book isn't easily outdated and two because he is trying to introduce the hobby to newbies like me. I find the book easy to understand and well worth the investment.

emonemo420

Word
Jun 30, 2007
dover afb
www.myspace.com
how about "The Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium" by Vinent B. Hargreaves ...idk about a complete newb book but i think it has the best of both worlds as far as what u need plus pics and species list...it is a little technical though not really an ABC type of book but then again nor is this hobby

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store