Pictures of my Molly/Guppy Hybrids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
I've been thinking about posting pictures of my Molly/Guppy Hybrids. There were 17 babies at the start, but some of them were eaten by some fishes (kribs which I didn't expect would eat them). Now there are 11 of 'em.

The mother of the hybrids was a 1.75" Leopard Tail Guppy, while the father of the group was a 1.0" black molly which strangely seemed to be interested in guppies rather than mollies.

The males of this bunch (2 of the 11) seem to be aggressive towards the females, which they force to stay near the surface. The males don't seem to have a problem with each other. It's just the females that they like to chase away. They aren't aggressive with the other fishes, but are pretty active just like mollies.

Hope you enjoy the picture. Sorry for the quality of the picture, and the algae wall on the background (although I think it is pretty nice :)).

IMG_0068.JPG

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
cool muppies!

sheloudre

AC Members
Jun 3, 2007
BC Canada
This makes me wonder about one of our fish. Supposedly is a molly female, but is the size of our sword females. Hasn't grown at all, like the one we got at same time - they were same size then. She's a black speckled gal, and Looks like a molly, but like i said, hasn't grown. Could she be a cross? Runt maybe?

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
Thank you :)

sheloudre:

I would say that mollies and swordtails attain the same maximum length, if not, the swordtails would be longer.

She might be a dalmation molly.

As for hybridizing mollies and swords, I would have to say that they should not be able to produce babies, as they are of different genus (Mollies: Poecillia, Swordtail: Xiphophorus).

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice.

Dec 20, 2006
Michigan
Very neat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com