Nano Reef Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
I was going to keep this under wraps until I had most of everything together to get it started. But with my tank built by AquaC and being delivered on Friday. Live rock being ordered the week after that. It's getting time to start thinking about stocking. I'm also about to explode from exci-*BOOM!*...... :flamed: I'm okay.

So, lets begin:
Tank: 8.8 gallon nano (33.3L)
Live Rock: 10lbs of Bali Select
Flow: 3"x6" centered overflow with dual 1/2" return lines
Pump: Eheim 1048
Heater: Jäger 100 watt (3604)
Lighting: Current 40 watt T5 fixture
Protein Skimmer: Tunze Nano Reefpack 200
Auto Top Off: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155
Auto Top Off Container: 19 gallons with Jäger 50 watt heater
Sump: 20 gallon fitted tank. 9 gallon refugium. Internal 1.5G deep sand bed.
I'll also be looking into remote monitoring hardware / software, and if boss permits will be housed on one of our dual quad core Xeon servers.

Original plans called for a 10 gallon sump, but I decided to upgrade to the ReefPack skimmer and needed a tad more space. Rather than tearing out baffles and starting over, I'm just going to upgrade to a 20 gallon tank.

They aren't plans for any additional power heads because I'm sure the flow will be enough, but I will probably add one to tumble the chaetomorpha in the sump.

Now for the fish stocking. I had the misfortune of stumbling upon a certain tank that featured a dragonet in his 10g nano. So these past few days I have been looking at things to house a dragonet myself (comes from this pro gamer attitude I possess, "Anything you can do I can do better." Which btw I'm in the wrong hobby to have LOL) After coming to the realization that I simply will not be in the office enough (did I mention this is a tank for my office?) to care for a dragonet, I decided against it.

So currently I'm considering fish that can survive for a few days from food ('pods) from the sump, because I'd really like to not use an auto feeder, but I will probably have to. I was going to go with a mantis reef but a coworker (someone above me in the food chain) had a nightmare about watching my mantis shrimp alone, it broke the glass, jumped on him, and started attacking his neck LOL. So for his sake I'm going with fish (employee sanity is worth it, lowers insurance premiums!).

Stocking List:
  1. Catalina Goby
  2. Gumdrop Coral Croucher (I love scorpion fish)
  3. Yellow Clown Goby or
  4. Firefish Goby
Any stocking suggestions as far as fish please let me know, I'm open to changes as I am still 30 days away from adding water.

As for inverts, I'm looking into yellow cucumbers (will be dosing phyoplankton anyway and will spot feed rotifers) and will probably stuff the tank with nerite snails to clean the glass. I will also probably pick up some rare shrimp / crabs from Live Aquaria's drivers den.

After 6 months of operation and flaws worked out and a 150 watt metal halide upgrade, I will start adding frags. The jury is still out on what kind of frags but I will probably go with polyps, because zoo's are so cool.

Anyway, the system is being designed to be stable without intervention from me for at least 5 days. Sometimes I go out of town for work and the tank needs to be able to run itself.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Looks good...although I'd probably save a few bucks and skip the skimmer...especially if you're using a sump w/ macro.

And a 150w for zoos would most definitely be overkill...which is cool, if that's what you're going for, but maybe one of those clamp on 70w would do you just right.

:)

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
Nice equipment list! I'll think on the stocking for you.
Thanks. :)

And a 150w for zoos would most definitely be overkill...which is cool, if that's what you're going for, but maybe one of those clamp on 70w would do you just right.
I've seen the 70 watt clamp on from JBJ and it doesn't look that "beefy." I might go with something like the 70 watt Current USA SunPod though. My only concern is the internal ballast and heat.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
You can, of course, go with whatever you want, but it just seems like a 150 on such a small tank would be a waste of electricity. But then, of course, it's not your electricity, really, so that's kind of a moot point, too. ;)

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
True, but the only reason I was going with a 150 watt is because I was finding more solid built fixtures. Who really needs 17 watts per gallon anyway? lol.

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
WHERE THE PICS HOME-SLICE???

you might get a frag if you're worthy

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
i think you woul be more happy with the 150. even with zoos, although they can do fine under the 70, i have found they are more colorful and happy under more lighting. it can depend sometimes, but for the most part...
also, that picture of the mandarin, even with the almost 30 gallon fuge below, it still eats mysis shrimp. you can keep one in there, but it's gotta eat frozen food without hesitation.
also, thecatlinia gobies are actualy more of a cold water fish that shoudl be kept in water no warmer than around 72 degrees or so. a normal reef would be way too warm for them to survive long term. and their likeings are way too cold for most corals to survive and do well long term.
as far as the gum drop, they can be coral nippers as they tend to lay their eggs on the underside of sps.
same thing for clown gobies.
not sure if you are eventualy planning on doing sps, but that is somethign to think about.
also, i love skimmers no matter the tank size. buuuut, if youve seen my thread, youd know i like to go a little overboard.... :)
good luck and keep us posted!

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
Fine Mr. Complain'y Pants - update

Here's the old sump sitting below the new one, I have everything inside because I'm probably going to do the baffles today. You can also see the lovely bucket Tunze sent, the 20g is sitting on it. It holds water very well and also makes a comfy foot rest.

Interested in seeing how this performs:

Refugium light:

Here's my sump idea:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store