a hitchhiker i'v never seen before

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stashmoney82

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
cleveland
i just fed my fish some frozen brine, and out popped some thing that looked at first like a scooter blenny. it was almost the exact same colors. the head looked like a hermit crabs head with the beety eyes on the antennaes. the body was mabey 1 1/4'' long almost like a fat worm. and the tail looked like a lobster or crayfish, kinda fanned out. you are all gonna hate me because i couldnt get my camera to work, and my cell camera wont email. but if anyone has seen something like this, i'd really like to know what it is.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
I think I have a pistol as a quite often hear clicking during feeding and on a night, I've never seen it though. How could I tell if it was a mantis? Would my livestock start to disappear? I have a watchman goby, if it is a pistol whats the chances of them pairing up? I also have to boxer shrimp so whats the chances they would attack the pistol if they come accross it(sorry for hijacking by the way)

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York

stashmoney82

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
cleveland
ok, the tail looks the same as pictured, but not at all those colors. more of a brown and white striped. the body wasnt big segmented scales like pictured. it was more smooth like a worm but fatter like a catterpiller. and i didnt notice the mantis like folded claw leg things in front part of body. and eyes were sticking out more.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Waynecav....if you do a google image search on pistol shrimp, you will see the difference in them and the mantis picture posted above...mantis have eye stalks, pistols dont, so if you get to see it, thats a telling factor...there may be some possibility of it pairing with a goby, but, you really can never say for sure..I dont think the boxer would go for a pistol personaly, they can hold their own in a fight...

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store