Power head in a cichlid tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MiramichiMob

AC Members
Aug 6, 2007
Miramichi, NB, Canada
On another member's suggestion, I installed a power head in my 55 gal. cichlid tank. I'm not real sure yet if they like it. I put in on the back of the tank and pointed it towards the front, facing up. So basically there is only a current in that part of the tank until they get used to it.
Does anyone else use these in their cichlid tank? If so, what are your thoughts on them, and do u find them beneficial?

Aislinn

AC Members
Apr 8, 2007
Minnesota
I don't have a powerhead in mine, but I have an XP3 and two big AC HOBs, so there's pretty steady current. Mine seem to really like it. It's pretty funny when they're all lined up, swimming against the current coming off the back wall of the tank. They kinda look like they're on underwater treadmills.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I use powerheads in some of my tanks..my 55 has two that run the ugf my 75 has one r660 that I use to eliminate dead spots in the tank(helps to keep cynobacteria away)
I use several in my marine tanks 3 with a 1500 gph pump in the fuge.

I also have a r660 in my 20 for the rfug.
my 75 is my discus tank I run a sump in this(wet/dry 1200 gph sump)they have no issues with current ..my 55 is an angel tank I keep a ac 70 on it with 2 powerheads.

no issues with current all my tanks are planted ot have wood in them to deflect water.

BadDogsPa

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Power Heads

I have used them in my tank, but i think they annoy the fish if ran all the time. I run it during the day and shut it off at nite. Actually have it on a timer so i dont have to unplug and etc,just like my lights. My JD hides behind stuff to get out of the water flow i believe. This is just my opinion,and fish likes and dislikes vary too.

MiramichiMob

AC Members
Aug 6, 2007
Miramichi, NB, Canada
Thanks all, maybe i'll run mine for a few days to see how they like it. I'll set it on a timer so it goes off and on with my lights. I also have a JD in with my Africans (I know, I know) and he doesn't seem to be acting any differently. I have it pointed in a way now that only part of the tank should be getting the current so if they don't like it I should be able to tell, that is if they are staying away from that part of the tank. Plus it's a rather cheap "fish toy" so if I have to throw it in the box with the rest of "seemed like a good idea at the time fish toys",,,,so be it.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Thanks all, maybe i'll run mine for a few days to see how they like it. I'll set it on a timer so it goes off and on with my lights. I also have a JD in with my Africans (I know, I know) and he doesn't seem to be acting any differently. I have it pointed in a way now that only part of the tank should be getting the current so if they don't like it I should be able to tell, that is if they are staying away from that part of the tank. Plus it's a rather cheap "fish toy" so if I have to throw it in the box with the rest of "seemed like a good idea at the time fish toys",,,,so be it.
Haha, I know what you mean. I bought a powerhead for my 30 gal because I was afraid after switching to RUGF that my fish would be deprived of O2...absolutley hated it. Ended up getting a cheap HOB for extra filtration and that does basically the same thing ;)

MiramichiMob

AC Members
Aug 6, 2007
Miramichi, NB, Canada
Well, I think they like the power head. Today I've noticed that my fish seem to be more active. Also they are using more regions of the tank. My decor, such as rock caves are not stacked very high, so the fish usually only used the bottom half of the tank. Now they seem to be using the whole tank. My peacock especially seems to like it. All day he's been swimming in front of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store