Electric tank shock. HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I have a 72 gallon bowfront saltwater set up with live rock, about 15 fish, the whole deal. I have the coralife 260 watt compact fluorescent light hood with moon lights attatched with plastic legs on top of the aquarium over the glass canopy. I have an 850 gph pump in the sump, a 300 watt heater in the pump and a protein skimmer in the sump.

I have just recently started getting electric shocks at random times when working with my tank. The first time it happened i was wearing a rubber glove (which i thought would block electricity in the first place) i put my hand in the sump and it tore through the glove and shocked my whole arm. The next day i was using the net in the tank itself and got a big shock, then the same thing happend to my brother, my girlfriend and my friend all at different random times. It feels like one of those trick handshake or trick lighters that people have but it hurts way more. Basically the shock runs through my arm and into my chest, leaving my arm numb. So basically my arm gets better after like half an hour i would say. I have read about ground probes but i don't know if those are for my purposes or if i just need to locate the faulty device and replace it. How would i locate which it is other than unplugging and testing to see if i get electrocuted? Is there a device that can detect random spurts of voltage? Will my fish start being harmed by this? What should i do? I am afraid to put my hand in the tank while the power is on now...i have been shocked a good 6 or 7 times now and i am terrified! Thanks everyone!

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I can't help but imagine a scenario where lab rat that gets shocked a many times when trying to get cocaine, so I am sorry I laughed... it's this whole dramatic thing in my head.

I think after the first shock I'd be trying to figure out what it is. Most likely a heater, powerhead, or pump. There probably is a device to gauge electricity, I just don't know what it is. Hopefully someone can help you out and don't be sticking your hand back in there and getting shocked again.

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
Wow... Now I'm going to be afraid to put my hand in my tank! I've always wondered if electric shock was possible in tanks...

I hope the fish are okay!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I'm guessing you're not using a GFCI curcuit...or else it should pop with that much current in the tank. What you can do is use a multimeter and stick one probe in the tank and one probe in the grounding part of the outlet (not the two slots, the little round hole in the middle of the plug). Unplug everything, and watch the multimeter (should be at zero or very close to it), plugging one thing in at a time. When the faulty piece of equipment is energized, you should see the voltage drop spike up from zero to anywhere from 20Vto 120V depending on how much current is being thrown into the tank. You can get a cheap digital multimeter at Radio Shack for less than $10. After you find the problem, do yourself a favor and start using GFCI receptacles.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Very doubtful that it's static. Here's how to find which piece of equipment is causing it:

Get a qualified electrician to come to your location and troubleshoot the problem. If you can't get an electrician, then:

Get a voltmeter that will measure AC voltage. The voltmeter will have two leads.

You'll need a wire long enough to get to the ground rod outside, or a metal water pipe. Strip about four inches of insulation off the end of the wire, and wrap around the rod or pipe, and twist down tight. Strip two inches of the insulation from the other end of the wire, and twist around one of the meter lead ends, ensuring that the metal end of the lead is making good contact with the wire.

Unplug all the equipment and lights.

Turn the range knob of the meter to "AC Volts" at the next range above 120 volts; i.e. 200 volts, 250 volts. The meter should read 0 volts.

Place the lead that's not connected to the ground wire in the sump so that the metal tip of the lead touches the water. Don't hold the meter lead in your hand or put your hand in the water.

Plug one of the devices in, then check the voltmeter. If the meter reads 0, unplug the equip. and try the next one. Eventually, you should be able to find the faulty piece of equipment.

As pointed out earlier, I suspect a heater or pump.

You shouldn't stick your hands back in this tank's water until you find and replace whatever is energizing the water. More people die from 120 volt shocks than from any other voltage.

Mark

Last edited:

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Sploke posted as I was writing my post. The reason I suggested the use of a separate wire for ground reference is that not all houses have three-wire receptacles in them. Also, a GFCI needs to see an imbalance of current to trip. In this instance the GFCI may not trip until you put your hand in, completing a circuit. And even then it may not trip as GFCIs are designed to trip with 4 to 5 milliamps of current.

Mark

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
All good advice!

DO NOT COME IN CONTACT WITH YOUR WATER until this is fixed. Strong jolts like you describe will kill you if they go up an arm and down the other. This means you just need to touch the wrong thing and you are X'ed out. This very serious stuff.

If you don't understand what wesleydnunder or sploke has said then get someone who does to help you. This is not really a good place to be "learning" about power circuit problems.

You have a live wire connected to your water somewhere. It won't hurt your fish until current actually flows. If current flows, and it can through many different paths, your fish will be paralyzed including their breathing if the current is enough. If it isn't enough you will be getting electrolysis that will cause fatal water chemistry changes.

I suggest you get either a knowledgeable <competent> electrical friend or an electrician to troubleshoot this. And at the same time you absolutely should have them install/help a GFI outlet. Never should any aquarium be powered without using a GFI outlet. It would protect your system form these truly 'deadly to all party's failures'.

srossnz

AC Members
Aug 28, 2007
Wow, scary stuff. So if you want to be extra safe should you hook a grounding line to the tank? I am assuming this is some sort of metal probe that goes in the water and then sticks into the ground (in my case the earth under my house). I might pick up a volt meter and one of these grounding cables. But.. does the grounding line actually prevent you from being shocked?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store