Fishless Cycling

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Here's my current situation:

55-gallon tank
2 filters (Whisper 60 and Penguin 350 Bio-Wheel)
Aragonite substrate (oh my, I LOVE this stuff - it immediately buffered my pH to 8.2!)
Decorated (plastic plants, of course)
18" Bubble Wall
Temp is at a steady 82F for the cycling process

It's been up and running for a day now. I took the filter media from my established freshwater tank.....not thinking about the consequences of running it through brackish water, therefore probably killing all of the bacteria that was established on there.

I have read articles pertaining to using pure ammonia. There, you are to drop ammonia into it until it reaches around 5ppm. There, you're to keep it at 5ppm, and once the nitrites kick in, reduce the ammonia to half that amount.

My question is....what do you do when you do it the "natural" way? I have fish food (brine shrimp and freeze dried krill) in a little pantyhose, hanging at the top of the tank. Is that sufficient? When the ammonia eventually reaches 5ppm, am I supposed to remove it? Or leave it in there? If I remove it, I'd be removing any source of ammonia, correct?

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
I *think* you're supposed to leave it in there so it rots. You could always throw in a piece of raw shrimp if you have it, that might work quicker than fish food

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
Completely agree with Spock. Throw a whole raw shrimp in the tank. Let it rot. Test every couple of days. The Ammonia should spike then fade as the nitrites spike and then they should fade. When the ammonia nad nitrites are at 0, do a 50% water change and you are good to add fish. Of course, remover the shrimp before the water change!

Any other questions, let me know!

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
UPDATES:

I didn't do the raw shrimp like everyone tells me to, and did the fish food in a stocking thing.
First day, I tested the water:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Temp: 84F

Food has been rotting away....lovely slimy stuff seeping out of the stocking. Yum.
Tank has been running for a total of 3 days.

Tested the water this morning....and much to my surprise:
Ammonia: .25
Nitrites: .25
Nitrates: 0

I thought it took almost a month for a tank to cycle? Is it possible that the tank is cycling this fast? Or the bacteria on the established filter actually didn't die?

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
Both are possible in my opinion. Remember it is not cycled until the ammonia and nitrates read 0 and your nitrates go up. Tank cycling can take 2+ weeks. Yes it is possible that some of the bacteria could have survived, but since your nitrates are still 0... doubtful.

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Alrighty then....tested the water again this morning (aka 15 minutes ago).

The parameters are as follows:
Ammonia: between 0 and .25 ppm
Nitrites: .25 ppm
Nitrates: between 5-10 ppm

I guess I just really don't know the pattern to a natural nitrogen cycle. It just seems a little too fast?

Also, noticed some more "gunky buildup" in my ammonia test (using the API Saltwater liquid tests). I would most likely assume that it's undissolved organics - phosphates? Since I'm on a very limited budget and can't afford to go out and buy a protein skimmer, would a product such as:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+8996&pcatid=8996
work as a a temporary solution until I can purchase a protein skimmer? Would it be best to rid phosphates now, during the cycling process, or wait until the fish are inhibiting the tank?

Last edited:

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Or better yet - other than directly contributing to algae growth, are phosphates harmful to aquatic life?

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
IMO, you really need to just leave it alone. Wait until the ammonia and nitrites are 0! Once they are zero do a 50% water change and vacuum the gravel then if your organics are high you can worry about them then.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
How much fish food did you use? What will you be stocking your tank with? Are you cycling the tank as the SG the future fish are in at the shop?

IMO, using a rotting shrimp (eeeewww--NIMFT!) or a small amount of food, may not grow enough bacteria to support a fully stocked tank or even a single puffer. Using the pure ammonia guarantees your tank can be fully stocked by the time your parameters level out & no dead, rotting carcass in the tank (just doesn't sound like a great way to start out my fish).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store