Anetome Helena

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hotweldfire

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Hi All,

Anyone had any experience with these "assassin" snails? I've had one for about 3 months and it exhibits rather strange behaviour. Namely:

a) a week after it was introduced it had almost completely cleared up the pond/MTS infestation in my tank
b) subsequently sat on the top of a pump withdrawn into its shell for a week. No movement, no activity. Finally I assumed it was dead and went in to remove it to find it had disappeared. The next day I saw it speeding across the tank floor, chasing down a MTS and devouring it.
c) a while later it went missing and I didn't see it for weeks. In the meantime my snail population built up. Eventually it returned and the snail population diminished a bit.
d) most recently it has done another disappearing act and now I have thousands of baby snails around. Reappeared yesterday but, after watching it for some hours, doesn't appear to be interested in the babies. Just wanders around ignoring them.

Rather bizarrely the new baby snails look different from others I've had previously. I've got quite a few of what look like ramshorns. Also got spiral shaped ones that look suspiciously like mini versions of the helena. Thing is nothing but mineralised RO has gone into my tank for over 3 months. So 3 questions:

1) Any ideas on the part-time assassin? Is there some way I can up its effectiveness or should I just get a few more?
2) I understood helenas were very hard to breed. Is it possible it's bred with something else or am I being paranoid and are the babies likely to be MTS?
3) Where the hell did the ramshorns come from? No plants, no fish etc. have come into the tank for months. The tank's been running for 5 months and I've never had ramshorns before.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Well, I don't keep these guys. But because of your post I became intriqued and spent the morning trying to read about them. From what I gathered from blogs and posts is that they do not feed every day, but tend to eat a snail and go dormant for a few days then feed, dormant, feed, dormant. I didn't get the feeling that they were hard to breed, just slower to reproduce, so its very possible you have babies. Ramshorns, perhaps you had them for some time and the population was just kept in check completely. Has your maintenance routine or feeding changed?

hotweldfire

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Thanks for the advice. The description of dormant, eating, dormant, appears to fit the snail's activity fairly well. I'll see if I can get some more to keep down the other snail population. Re: the ramshorns - I have been a bit slack recently with maintenance so that might explain it. I'll keep an eye on the other new arrivals and see what they turn into. If I'm lucky I'll have some snail-eating-snails to spare (assuming the a helena can breed on its own). Anyone in the UK who wants some can have them for the price of P&P!

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
if they are baby Anetome Helena or even the adults ile be happy to take a hand full form you. am in the Northwest. pm me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store