My 14g Biocube Reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HaKs310

AC Members
Apr 30, 2008
Gardena, CA
:welcome:

Been out out of the hobby for 2 years but got the itch 2 weeks ago to get back into it after my younger brother asked me to help him set-up a FW tank. I'll be doing a 14g BioCube Reef tank. Looking to do a Pistol/Shrimp pair, a True Perc and lots of nice corals!

So far this is the cost break down:

14g BioCube and Stand: $278.98
MaxiJet 1200: $18.39
Hydor-Flo Rotating Deflector: $9.99
Nanocustoms Factory Retro 3.24[72w]: $100
Portable Refractometer: $44.99
Visi-Therm Deluxe 50w Heater: $15.99
Little Time or Temp: $16.99
Coralife Digital Power Center: $29.99
Chemi-Pure Grande Elite 46.96oz: $41.99
6pk of fine Mesh Media Bag: $6.69
Algae Scrub Pad: $1.99
Filter Floss 14oz: $7.69
Sand: $10
Fiji Premium LR: $96

I will be adding an extra 24w bulb via a Nanocustoms Factory Retro
Should be getting it this Tuesday. As of now the tank is setup and running with 10lbs of aragonite sand[$10], to start the cycle I'll be picking up 25lbs of Premium Uncured Fiji LR[$96] tomorrow from ReeferMadness

As far as mods go: I replaced the stock pump with a MJ1200, took a little toying to get it in, but it fits. Replaced the return nozzle with the Hydor-Flo. Because of the pump exchange i had to trim the section between the first and second compartments, thus allowing more water to flow to the pump section. Also trimmed the fan guards to allow more air to flow in and out. Couldn't do both mods without my handy Dremel. :headbang2:

Yeah yeah, i know, lots of writing but no pics. Should have some up Tuesday/Wednesday after I add the new bulb and throw in the LR.

Question/suggestions/comments?

Last edited:

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
All sounds great to me.....Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the new system...May not want to use the filter floss media with the ammount of live rock your adding....good stuff..

HaKs310

AC Members
Apr 30, 2008
Gardena, CA
Edit: Noticed on my last post that the RefeerMadness link takes you to Nanocustoms, here is the correct link: ReeferMadness

Thank you ReefScape.

The filter floss will only be used after I do water changes to catch anything that has been kicked up.

As far as todays update: Went to ReeferMadness today but he did not have the LR ready for me so hopefully I'll be picking that up first thing tomorrow. The retrofit has been shipped out and I should also be getting that tomorrow.
Tank temperature has been reaching the high 80s so I'll be installing a chiller....just gotta find one.

HaKs310

AC Members
Apr 30, 2008
Gardena, CA
Todays Update: First the bad new....no pictures, didn't have enough time, so if you want to quit reading now lol.

Anyways, woke up to a call from Jess over at ReeferMadness, said he had the LR :headbang2: So I drove down there, cheery picked out some nice Fiji peices and also two peices of African Coast LR. Got home and stuck'em inside the tank, took about a hour to get the right look but it was well worth it. Had two small left over peices that I ended up hammering up, and stuck the rubble in the back chambers.
A couple of minutes before I headed out to work I received the retrofit from Nanocustoms, only had time to open up the box to make sure everything was in there, which it was. So to make a long story short.....expect to see pictures tomorrow.

HaKs310

AC Members
Apr 30, 2008
Gardena, CA
As promised I got some pics.

Shot before I installed the Nanocustoms retrofit, with both Actinic and 10K on.

After, with 2 Actinic bulbs and 10K on

HaKs310

AC Members
Apr 30, 2008
Gardena, CA
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the tank has been reaching the high 80s on hot days, so I've been looking into chillers. I have pretty much decided on getting the JBJ Nano-Arctica, just trying to figure out how I am going to plumb it and the parts I need before I go ahead and order it.

Last edited:

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
hey looking good! any hitchliker spottings yet? i know nothing about chillers :( my nanocube 12 runs at about 79-80 have ya tried upgrading the fans? that is what i did first and it really helped alot

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
You created some wonderful rock structures. I am sure a goby or blenny would love to play hide and seek in that.

As for the chiller, sorry, I can't help you on that one. It would be nice to have one but I am on a budget. You could always create a post in the equipment forum to get some suggestions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store