My New Angel Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZSandmann

Obey the Corgi!
Jun 25, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL
Real Name
John
So I have had an add in Craigslist for a while now, I was basically looking for a large tank but did not want to pay for one. My wife has been wanting to keep angels ever since I started a tropical community one. Today I got that magic email notification from someone wanting to get one off their hands.

The Specs:
58 Gallon Oceanic tall with a matching stand, dark oak.
Glass top and florescent hood.
Two biowheel Penguin filter.
Big heater, brand unknown.
Test kits, food, etc etc.
1 Golden Angel
1 Swordtail orange platy
About 5 White Cloud Mountain Minnows
About 5 Cherry Barbs
1 big ole Emerald Cory

Price: $100

This is going to be an angel tank mainly, but I am going to keep all the stock as they have been together for a while and seem to cohabitate nicely. I saw no aggression when I looked at the tank today.

What should I do next as I transition this tank to what I want it to be? Right now it has only gravel, some rocks and plastic plants. Long term I want a nice center driftwood piece, take away the rocks and add live plants.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Congrats, FW angelfish are my fav as well. Good thing your changing the decor quite a bit, because adding new angels is gonna bother that solo one. You might even want to donate/give away the Gold Angel and pickup a group of youngsters IMO. Raising juveniles is really nice since you get to see them pair up and learn their unique quirks, plus avoid the problem with dominance from the established angel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would suggesr adding a canister filter.

I also agree that adding new angels can be a bit tricky.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
I would suggesr adding a canister filter.

I also agree that adding new angels can be a bit tricky.
Good idea, and maybe a new heater too. I'm weird about used heaters and/or unidentifiable ones. I've probably thrown a good heater or two out, cause I cant remember how well it worked or the last time I've seen it work. I could skip a day or two of meals if I needed to save for a heater, knowing that I'm not gonna cook my pets with some faulty equipment.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I agree..be cautious when adding more angels to a tank with existing angels.

make sure there is cover in the tank for the new ones to hide.
and you may want to consider a tank for QT.

I am also not a fan of white cloud minnows. I think they are a cool fish (literally) angels should be kept in water temp no less than 78..I tend to keep mine at 80-82. this is outside the comfort range of the white clouds..which are actually a coldwater species.(IME)

ZSandmann

Obey the Corgi!
Jun 25, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL
Real Name
John
Yeah the heater is IMO the trickiest bit of the equipment, it does seem to hold a steady heat from the limited time I have seen it, but it is old, like 10 years old. The suction cups are shot so the guy has it clamped in place with a chip clip. It is one of the ones that looks like a big test tube. He said he paid $80 for it.

The angel is beautiful and I have never seen one so golden/yellow so I am reluctant to get rid of it, but I see your concern, I have been thinking over the same things. I was thinking of maybe putting in a clear divider to let them see each other befor ethey met. I don't know how well this would work, I have always had Tropical Community fish, this is my first departure.

I like the cannister filter idea, I was looking at them on Sunday evening in fact. Don't really know how they work though, I have always used HOBs. The guy says that there is a tray for an underground filter under the gravel, he didn't like it and disconnected it but left the tray in. He has a box of old equipment he is giving me, I have no idea what will be in it.

I will breaking down and taking the tank to my house Wednesday evening. Pictures will follow. Stay tuned.

ZSandmann

Obey the Corgi!
Jun 25, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL
Real Name
John
I agree..be cautious when adding more angels to a tank with existing angels.

make sure there is cover in the tank for the new ones to hide.
and you may want to consider a tank for QT.

I am also not a fan of white cloud minnows. I think they are a cool fish (literally) angels should be kept in water temp no less than 78..I tend to keep mine at 80-82. this is outside the comfort range of the white clouds..which are actually a coldwater species.(IME)
You are correct on the White Clouds, I thought it was a strange pairing too. He said that they were used to cycle the tank. The tank is running at 79F right now with a pH of 6.8 Our tap water here in Southern Louisiana is 8.0-8.4 so he uses softener after each water change. I was thinking of putting the White Clouds in my Beta tank or my Crawfish tank, but I don't want them to become snacks for the Crawfish. And the Beta tank is too small, so I am concerned on what to do. I guess they could go in the Endler Male tank but it is probably warmer than the Angel tank.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
take them to a LFS

use structure to allow the new angels to time to acclimate.

a divider may be futile..my angels will bash into the glass of seperate tanks.

ZSandmann

Obey the Corgi!
Jun 25, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL
Real Name
John
None of my LFSs will take in "stray" fish. I've tried. I'm planning on adding some big driftwoods peices and a few rock caves, also adding more fake plants. Long term I am going to have live plants but the lighting right now is not adequate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store