Marine Discussion: Substrate in marine tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
A little big of trivia which was experimented with... I don't get the credit, but I trust Rob Toonen, and we were yapping about this. He told me nitrates were still being leached in lab tanks with 14 inch CC substrates. I trust him, because he said they were in his lab. And he was on his first Heineken! :) Anyway, couldn't agree more with this preaching, here. And Max, you haven't seen a rant, my friend! :D Good stuff. For years I tried to make CC work, using everything from nitrate sponge, to screaming at my tank. I went deep. 6" will do nothing. I tested nitrates higher than any chart could measure. It kept me from doing corals, but rock/caulerpa/fish were fine. I didn't even know they sold that stuff in stores. lol

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
well i dont like dsb because i rather not have that issue occur to me in the feature so right now i have a combo of aragronite and sand and everything seems to be doing fine because with a sb and dsb you have to stir it around to get rid of the toxic gases. Thats IMO tho so lets see what other people think

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store