Clownfish endangered?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mwb1978

AC Members
Oct 23, 2006
Tucson, AZ
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,372242,00.html

I found this article today on foxnews.com in the scitech section. I wonder how much of the increased demand for clownfish is really because of the movie "Finding Nemo" and not just the growing of the aquarium fish trade.

What other fish do you think we are seriously harming by taking wild fish out of the ocean?

I'm not trying to preach to anybody here. I'm just trying to figure out just how big the aquarium trade really is.

Any thoughts on what fish our kids or grandkids will be able to keep in an aquarium? Will they even be able to "find nemo" anywhere?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, they aren't endangered, but they are on their way. They should have placed a halt on wild collection when captive breeding became more widespread. As hard as it sounds, force people to look for captive raised stuff. It is really sad when people can't be responsible enough to moderate their fishing activities--to the point of nearly wiping things out. It is also a shame that they are just now reporting on a problem that has been around for years... just check for headlines.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Wow, I thought they were hugely farmed. I guess people will destroy a population to save $5.

Andrew225

A little bit of everything
Jun 26, 2007
Colorado
I'd say it is possible that reef-tankers have had a bit of a negative impact on the clownfish population (because lets' be honest, your typical reef has at least one :p)

However, i do think the article puts marine aquarists into a negative light, talking about how they are destroying populations.
It fails to mention that the reefs themselves are falling apart.
Or the fact that, thanks to people keeping saltwater tanks, immeasurable amounts of money have been used to study and learn about all kinds of fish. (So we can keep them in our tanks, but that's besides the point)

However, it does make me wonder...

My Ocellaris Clownfish (Tankraised), Dante...He could be an endangered species soon

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I agree with Amp. There are quite a few marine fish that are now captive bred. Take the Bangaii cardinal. My very first marine book states that these can't be raised in captivity. 3 years on I even have my own baby Bangaii that I've raised and I know there are quite a few people who raise them.

I suppose it's up to the individual to be comfortable with the choice they make when buying livestock. I won't replace my cleaner wrasse when he goes for similar reasons and I also won't buy another anemone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store