My Discus is Sickus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RedScare

AC Members
Jul 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Well one of my big Pigeon Bloods was slowly wasting away and stopped eating. I was getting lazy and decided to wait it out till my wife said "that fish is gonna die."

Description:

The Fish in question is a Pigeon Blood Discus approx. 7"-8" in diameter. It has been displaying general malaise and a lack of appetite. The coloration has become progressively more pale over the previous months and the fins appear to be "nipped" or frayed without any signs of territorial aggression. The gills have become reddish in appearance and it is preferring the upper (more oxygenated) areas of the tank.

Diagnosis:

Initial internal parasitic infection leading to a weakening of the fish over time. This weakening has contributed to a systemic bacterial infection hindering respiration and recovery. Suspected Capillaria worm infection with co-morbid bacterial infection.

Treatment:

Treatment was begun in a 15 gallon quarantine with 3 tablespoons of salt added (for all w/c) as a tonic, 100% w/c daily, and temps at 84 degrees F. The tank was dosed with the antibiotic furan 2 for 24 hours and following a 100% w/c was done and temps were raised to 88 degrees F. The fish was offered beefheart laced with fenbendazole dosed at 1g per 100g of food. This was refused. The tank was then dosed with PraziPro at 5ml to 15 gallons.

Results:

Approximately 8 hours after administration of the PraziPro the fish passed 3 large tapeworms (cestode) over the next 12 hours , this was confirmed by obvious gross appearance.

Currently it is day 1 after passing the tapeworms and the fish is still refusing food.

See pic

sick fish.jpg

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I think it is normal that they don't immediately eat after a prazi treatment. Have you tried whatever would normally be that discus's favorite food? Poor fish!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
wow! How big was the tape worm? was he in with your other discus? Great info so far, i hope he gets better for you.

RedScare

AC Members
Jul 1, 2007
Wisconsin
I believe he passed the tapeworms in pieces. The largest piece being about 6" long. Actually I am not sure how many tapeworms there were. From the times that it happened and how the passes were spaced I guessed at 3.

This fish was in a 55 gallon tank with 5 other Discus. I dosed the tank with 15 ml of PraziPro and no overt signs of infection were seen in any of the other fish. 2 of the fish in the tank are runts.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
hang in there.

good to see you document this.

I have an angel that is in a qt tank (has been for months) that is going thru a similar situation.. she has only been responding to levamisole Hcl treatment.

metro, prazi has been entirely ineffective..I suspect capillaria as there is no sign of camallanus
she is on dose 3 of levamisole and actually moved towards the bloodworms last night.
when she starts eating those I'll lace the bloodworms with levamisole

briggadane

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
Lakewood Ohio
www.briggadane.com
Good thing you dosed the whole tank, as tapeworms are easily shared. You will need to re-treat shortly to make sure the life cycle is broken.

I hate tapeworms.

Does anyone know a site that shows mg/L of meds(prazi, lev, etc)? I have them all for the dogs, but know the ratio for the fish. I am finding one tablet per 75G is working for me.

RedScare

AC Members
Jul 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Dosed the tank again last night with 5ml of Prazi. Nothing....

My wife and I both saw the fish nibbling at some beefheart. Hope that is the beginning of recovery.

RedScare

AC Members
Jul 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Good thing you dosed the whole tank, as tapeworms are easily shared. You will need to re-treat shortly to make sure the life cycle is broken.

I hate tapeworms.

Does anyone know a site that shows mg/L of meds(prazi, lev, etc)? I have them all for the dogs, but know the ratio for the fish. I am finding one tablet per 75G is working for me.

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library...medicine_cabinet/medication_information.shtml

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/medicine_cabinet/medicinal_conversions.shtml

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
:dance::dance: That's great news redscare!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store