The Use of Garlic in the Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
At www.applesnail.net garlic is mentioned in the forums for use in homemade snail foods. Sounds interesting but personally I've never tried it. They recommend rubbing fresh garlic on foods like sinking pellets as well.

aquarob

I give up!
Jan 1, 2006
At www.applesnail.net garlic is mentioned in the forums for use in homemade snail foods. Sounds interesting but personally I've never tried it. They recommend rubbing fresh garlic on foods like sinking pellets as well.
Garlic sometimes gets reluctant eaters to accept food. Stink bait (get it at the tackle store) works even better though. =)

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I have been feeding all of my fish- omnivores, carnivores, vegetarians and even fry- once a week with a spirulina and garlic flake I buy from kensfish.com. I think my tanks have been healthier and had fewer illnesses since I started doing this a couple of years back. All the fish eat it and they are a pretty wide variety of them.

BoredAgain

Cubs in '10
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
I've been using seachem garlic guard when i feed my fish recently.
My fish love Garlic Guard. I bought it for quarantined fish that didn't want to eat, and to cover up the meds that their food was soaked in, it solved the problem. I use it more often in my other tanks as well because my fish go crazy for it. The only thing I don't like about it is that the smell makes me hungry.

MIKE D

Cichlid Fanatic
Jul 2, 2007
Maine
I've been doing alot of reading on garlic in the aquaruim and I have found many uses for it. I started to use it 2 days ago to make my fish healthier and I have noticed that my fishes appetite has grown alot.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the smell makes me hungry.
My apartment smells like an Italian bistro. Man I've never been this hungry before:drool:

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Hmmmm..interesting subject...Dont really know about FW fish et cetera...But with marine fish, it bolsters the immune system and aid finiky fish to start feeding..Still yet to find any conclusive proof that garlic cures parasitic infections, like some people say...

Just my opinion of course....will be following this one... :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store