Growing glosso emersed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
After seeing nate_mcnastys threads on emersed hc and his great success, I have decided to finally take a stab at growing glosso emersed.

Ive used a small chinese food take out dish (yum yum dim sum :p )
Filled it with soilmaster select that was taken out of an established tank.
Planted the glosso one by one and then filled it to the top of the gravel with tank water, covered that with saran wrap and placed it under 28w of light for 4-7hrs a day.

Heres a photo of it on the day of planting (excuse the dirt on the sides of the canister.. sms is very messy no matter how many times you wash it)
(7/19/08)

Photo of it today (7/27/08)
Nothing drastic, just slight growth

On about the 2nd-3rd day in I added more water to the substrate and with it i added a tiny amount of NPK. After that I left it alone for a few days. I noticed that as the water level went down some of the nodes started turning yellowish, so i had some die off. But after i readded the water to cover slightly above the substrate in a day the glosso picked up and gave out a few new nodes.

well thats all for now. ill be updating perhaps in a few weeks when the growth is more noticable.

Comments/suggestions are welcome..

Thanks for looking

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Nice, got some lighting questions. What type of light, I'm assuming T5 from the wattage, and whats the K rating. Second, how close are the lights to the dish?

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Yet one more creative use for old vcr tapes to add to my list. ;)

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
VHSs are old, DVDs are way better. I'll be following this thread to see how it turns out, great experiment Bk!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store