Oranda

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
so my baby Angel is swimming upside down at the top of the tank. ive tried the whole pea thing..changing good amounts of water but still....:confused:

suggestions?

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Your fish's buoyancy issues could be caused by a number of things. Though food related GI issues are often the culprit, it could also be caused by bacterial factors, which would require the use of medicated foods. Unfortunately, some fish will remain floaters regardless of what you do for them, and for them, corrective surgery or euthanasia are two possible options. Though many floaters will continue to eat normally, if their mobility is so limited that they cannot escape the surface, they can develop lesions where they dry out. In the mean time, I'd suggest fasting the fish for a few days, continuing the pea/shrimp treatment, and seeing if you can't get some acidophilus pills from your local vitamin/health food type place. Dissolving the pill in water and soaking some pellets in it before feeding may help to re-establish the proper microfauna in your goldie's stomach. If you do manage to get him upright again, i'd suggest making sure his diet is packed with roughage, and keeping him on the warm side.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
I agree with Inka completely. I'd also add that I've heard a few success stories about injections of acetazolamide.
http://www.bedfordlabs.com/products/ViewProductDetails?brand=Diamox
Here's one well-documented case. However, you'll need to take your fish into a vet to get a proper diagnosis BEFORE trying any injectable drug.
http://thegab.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9753

I would continue the pea regimen for a few days, and see if she improves. If not, I'd definitely recommend contacting a vet.

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
what medicated foods could i give her? I went my local LFS and saw none that actually said swim bladder. She now has some redness on her fin..im assuming its from her being partially out of the water. Im so upset

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
Heres some pics:

Is this bacterial???

Shes already in my hospital tank

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta

how did this happen? She was sooo healthy and im always checking the water parameters

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
bummmmer sorry to see your fish like that

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
yeah im devastated :(

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
what medicated foods could i give her? I went my local LFS and saw none that actually said swim bladder. She now has some redness on her fin..im assuming its from her being partially out of the water. Im so upset

You won't find any that say swimbladder because usually swimbladder problems aren't caused by bacteria or viral infections, rather, they're genetic issues.
You can try any broad-spectrum antibacterial food - I'm fond of Jungle Labs Antibacterial. There are others that will do the trick, but Jungle Labs is available in most Petsmart and Petcos.
As I mentioned, you should probably find a vet right away. She will likely need surgery, since the peas didn't help and she's floating all the time now. I would do that ASAP, since she's definitely developing a sore on her fin due to exposure to the air. Until you can get into the vet, you might try floating a towel on the surface, to keep her belly wet.

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
You won't find any that say swimbladder because usually swimbladder problems aren't caused by bacteria or viral infections, rather, they're genetic issues.
You can try any broad-spectrum antibacterial food - I'm fond of Jungle Labs Antibacterial. There are others that will do the trick, but Jungle Labs is available in most Petsmart and Petcos.
As I mentioned, you should probably find a vet right away. She will likely need surgery, since the peas didn't help and she's floating all the time now. I would do that ASAP, since she's definitely developing a sore on her fin due to exposure to the air. Until you can get into the vet, you might try floating a towel on the surface, to keep her belly wet.
thanks ive just put a towel. she keeps moving from it though :(

ill get the jungle labs stuff tomorrow. is aquarium good for her too right now?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store