Most natural rock for Malawi Mbuna

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Istanbul_Kop

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Liverpool, UK.
In your opinion, what is the most natural type of rock you can get to create a little bit of Lake Malawi in your living room?

Most of the pictures I have seen seem very sandy, but the rocks are a greyish colour and covered with brown algae.

What type of rock is in Lake Malawi and what is the best way to recreate it?

Cheers.

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
When I first set up the tank, I've used river rock, but later switched to gray granite, because for one the granite was uniform in color (unlike river rock which was all shades of the rainbow) and it was bigger in size (which means I don't have to take out a #%^load of smaller rocks if I needed to catch a fish or whatever).

If you can find darker color (like dark brown for example) river rock in relatively nice and hefty sizes, use that.

Here's what it looks like (pic stolen from another site):

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
its limestone which is why the ph is so high in the rift lakes so if you can find some grey limestone that would be the closest thing to what there used to

Istanbul_Kop

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Liverpool, UK.
Thanks for the info.

I will be going for the same type of Rock for sure - if there is any variation in colour it will be natural to the rock.

I don't think I've seen Limestone locally, but will have a look - what is your thoughts on Sanstone?

If anyone has anymore great photos of the habitat of Lake Malawi it is much appreciated, I can find a few online but most of them are the same pics. I got Ad Konings Back to Nature guide but that concentrates more on the Fish than the environment.

Cheers.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
I've alway been partial to pagoda rock.. though it's not from the lakes

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I usually find rock at the stone quarry or places that supply fill dirt and gravel for building roads or drainage ditches. Some of the larger landscaping places are also good sources.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
whats about holy rock

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I'm going to be using natural River rock. They will be from 5-7 inches in diameter. The larger ones on the bottom and the smaller ones at the top.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
FishFiles wrote :
whats about holy rock

yeah that texas holey rock is awesome aye, i like it, really i need to get some for a smaller aquarium as for my 120gal i would have to take out a small loan for it, hehehe...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store