My Planted 90 Gallon Thread!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IsaacMTSU

Nikon D7000
Jul 24, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
www.IsaacCogdill.com
So, I got this tank for FREE after telling my friend "No, dude...I dont have any money" about 10 times over a few months...I finally said well, you can have it if you just come get it :headbang2:

It is a 90 Gallon Acrylic tank that is 48" long. It was a reef tank when my friend had it, so the entire back of the tank is an overflow/sump. It has 2 media chambers in the overflow and a chamber that would hold a skimmer. I put a QuietOne 2200 (581 GPH) pump in the sump. It has a "ball/socket" type spray bar for the return water.

This is the tank a day or two after I filled it...

For the lighting a got 2-48" Silver/Black Dual Strip Shoplights from Lowes for $18 each. They have 2-6700k (35W) and 2-Hagen AquaGlo (40W) bulbs. 150 Total Watts. I also put aluminum foil reflectors across the insides of the lights.

Another shot of the lights....

I added a couple of plants (Wisteria from my 29G tank) and a few Danios to start the cycle...

After a few days, I put some more driftwood in the tank. I've been adding all my trimmings from the other tank I have.

For future reference...I will not add these dudes (Buenos Aires Tetras) to a planted tank again. They are little tropical lawn mowers :silly:

The Julii Corys and the Otto Cats are awesome fish for this tank...the are always schooling around together as one species :grinno:

I have a bunch more plants in there now and I made a pretty sweet driftwood cave for the L-56 Pleco. Ill put some pictures up when the green water goes away :headshake2:

JL15219

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
South Texas
"For future reference...I will not add these dudes (Buenos Aires Tetras) to a planted tank again. They are little tropical lawn mowers :silly:"

LOL Yup it happened to me....They are nice fish though..

StarStruck8

AC Members
Jun 9, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Lindsay
I wish I could pick up such a nice tank for free! :silly: Can't wait to see the progression.

prolude006

Senior Member-Wheres My Discount!
Oct 3, 2008
Central Vermont
I would remove the aluminum foil on the shop lights and paint the underside white.
Foil is not a good idea for lights.

Nice tank you got there!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store