My 55g build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cap1384

AC Members
Nov 19, 2007
Hemet
I have started building my 55g tank, actually it is already up and running. so lets play catch up.

Equipment:

- Filters
-Eheim 2215
-Fluval 404

- Lighting
- 48" SOLAR T5 - 4 X 54W
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_136&products_id=1423&osCsid=d923e5e30aa7bd2ccc556fff224f9864

-Substrate
- 50 lbs petco/petsmart black gravel
- 45 lbs black Flourite

-CO2 Equipment
-20lb cylinder from bk828(thanks bk for the great price)
-Milwakee M957 regulator
-Ceramic Diffuser

-Wood
-Manzanita (from Manzanita.com [I drove to their place and hand picked the peices])

-Ferts
-Dry (from Rex Grigg at bestaquariumregulator.com)

-Plants
-A. Nana "petite"
-R. Roundifolia
-R. Wachilli
-S. Subtola
-Hygro
-Melon Sword
-L. Repens
-Star Grass
-L. Sessorflora
-algae

-Fish
-5 Red eye Tetra's
-2 Bn Plecos (male & female)

And now a few pictures

-This is the wood layout that I decided to go with (thanks Bk for your input)

I will try to update weekly so stay tuned.
I didn't take to many pictures from then till now. so I will post a few recent pictures in a few minutes...
I just want to say thanks to Bk828 for helping me with all of my questions(that guy is smarter than he looks) Also want to say thank you to the people like FordTrannyMan who help me get a few plants that I was looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:

cap1384

AC Members
Nov 19, 2007
Hemet
Update 11/5/08

Here are some pictures of the tank as of today,

This one is a full tank shot

here is the Hygro

And the L. Sessorflora

the L. Repens

the R. Roundifolia

R. Wachilli

one of my red eye tetra's

Last edited by a moderator:

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Glad to finally see this thread!
Looks like you got all top notch equipment and ready for a medium/high light planted tank.
Chris let me know if you are ready for plants. I got macrandra, hygros and most of all L. Aromatica ready for you. Can probably ship tomorrow or can wait till next week I guess.

Great photos of the plants and fish. Better squish them pond snails now before they take over.
How long have you been keeping your lights on?? co2 bps? seems like your wood got nice green algae on it..bad but at the same time looks sweet.

Also dont think thats l. repens.. looks like either repens x arcuata hybrid or another variety of ludwigia

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I love how the wood is in center and looks like a tree top. This tank will definetely look good when it fills in, it's just a matter of time. :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Very nice!

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Glad to finally see this thread!
Looks like you got all top notch equipment and ready for a medium/high light planted tank.
Chris let me know if you are ready for plants. I got macrandra, hygros and most of all L. Aromatica ready for you. Can probably ship tomorrow or can wait till next week I guess.

Great photos of the plants and fish. Better squish them pond snails now before they take over.
How long have you been keeping your lights on?? co2 bps? seems like your wood got nice green algae on it..bad but at the same time looks sweet.

Also dont think thats l. repens.. looks like either repens x arcuata hybrid or another variety of ludwigia
I got that same L. repens? from mgamer, it turned out to be an amazing plant, but I cant nail it down what species it is, I was think arcuata(sp) but I'm not 100%.

Its funny, in my 80gal I have a very large piece of mopani and the top that is in direct light, has the most awesome green algae on it, my snails graze it so it grows in level with the pores and surface, and it almost glows during the day, plus it pearls like crazy, lol. Its the only spot in my tank that green algae survives besides the GDA on the glass that needs to be removed every couple of weeks. So my opinion is leave the algea on the hardscape, makes it all look more natural, imo.

cap1384

AC Members
Nov 19, 2007
Hemet
I got that same L. repens? from mgamer, it turned out to be an amazing plant, but I cant nail it down what species it is, I was think arcuata(sp) but I'm not 100%.

Its funny, in my 80gal I have a very large piece of mopani and the top that is in direct light, has the most awesome green algae on it, my snails graze it so it grows in level with the pores and surface, and it almost glows during the day, plus it pearls like crazy, lol. Its the only spot in my tank that green algae survives besides the GDA on the glass that needs to be removed every couple of weeks. So my opinion is leave the algea on the hardscape, makes it all look more natural, imo.

The Algea doesn't bother me on the hard scape,it only bothers me on the glass. I got the L. Repens at an LFS on San Diego. A store called Pet Kingdom. They were selling as Broad leaf L. repens. I like the plant i just has a lil GDA on it. :eek:

Thank you everyone for you compliments. I am going out of town for 5 days. I will be relying on someone that I live with to dose and turn on and off the lights for me.:eek3: I have thought about hiring some one to come do it for the 5 days. but its expensive. so well see what the tank looks like when i get back. I'll be getting back around the 1st of Dec...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store