What's my snail doing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

black_sun

I'm a crayfish in disguise...
Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
Alright, I've never kept snails before... well, I've never kept snails as pets before (I've kept them as puffer and cray snacks). And the snails that came from my last post seem to be doing very well. But as I was watching them today one of them stretched this long appendage out and waved it all around for a bit before retracting it. What was it doing? I'm sure it's something normal or of no concern, but again "never kept snails before" so I was intrigued by what it was doing.

Here's some pix:

Thanks guys!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Yup, alot of times they will stretch them waaaaaay out when lights are out and they are resting. When the tank lights come on in the morning you may see it extended fuller than you thought possible,lol.

black_sun

I'm a crayfish in disguise...
Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
Nothing to be concerned of. It's called "breathing siphon" which they use to gather air at the surface.
Does that mean they don't have gills or some other ability to breathe underwater like fish, shrimp, etc?

Yup, alot of times they will stretch them waaaaaay out when lights are out and they are resting. When the tank lights come on in the morning you may see it extended fuller than you thought possible,lol.
It was already extending out so far, I can't imagine it going out even farther lol

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
They have both gills and lungs. They can extend their siphon to breath from the surface or breath underwater :)

Shoebox_16

Snr Member who craves knowledge.
Oct 5, 2008
Greater London, UK
At first I thought it was a penis XD

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store