Tankmates for F8s in 40g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

omplmpa3

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I've just started cycling a 40g breeder for my 2 juvie F8s. They are each about 1.25 inches and presently reside in a 20 long. I've read that F8s need at least 15 gallons each and then at least another ten for each additional F8. I'm sure my two will enjoy adulthood in a 40!

I'm wondering if I the F8s should be the only occupants the 40 or if I should (if stocking would allow) add a couple more residents to the tank. The SG of the 40 is .5

I'm not sure if this is relevant ... one of the F8s made it over the divider at the FS and mixed it up with a GSP. It lost its left eye. I call it Blinky. I know it's probably not smart to buy "damaged" goods (actually, the owner gave me that one so I guess you could call it a 2 for 1 deal), but I fell in love with the pair.

I have a 29g with 6 obese, almost full grown BBGs, a juvie Orange Chromide who's about 1.5 inches and a Knight Goby who is 2.5 inches. (I'm giving their sizes because I don't want anyone to fear for the lives of the BBGs) The SG of the tank fluctuates from around .2-.4

I want to do a species only tank for the BBGs so I'm also cycling a 10g to move them into.

Long story short:

Should I move the Orange Chromide and Knight Goby into the 40 along with the F8s? If I do this, is there a certain order in which I should introduce them to the tank?

Should I keep the Chromide and Goby in the 29 and the F8s in the 40?

Should I split up the Chromide and Goby, leaving one in 29 and putting the other in the 20 long previously occupied by the F8's? If I split them up, should I purchase another of each to attempt to create mating pairs?

Should I just quit this hobby because I spend way too much time worrying about the happiness of my fish, not to mention the hours/days spent planning aquascapes and of course the expense?!

Ha! Will never happen.

Anyway, any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

And thank you to all who took the time to read this whole thrilling saga!

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Well, this may be irrelevant now, but thought I'd give my opinion.

I personally have 8 bbgs with my F8 in a 44 gallon corner. No problems. My F8 is about 1.5 in and when the smallest bbg is about 0.75 in. I also have a handful of mollies (breeding machines, grr.)

I know of several people from www.thepufferforum.com who have kept knight gobies with F8s without problems, but I've also heard of carnage with that combo.

When I was looking for suggestions on what to put with my F8, several people suggested chromides, but I never found anyone with personal experience of that combo.

My suggestion would be to add the chromide and the knight goby when you will be able to be home for a few days (like a weekend) and observe them. Keep the 29 ready to put them back in there just in case there are problems. If after a week they are still cool, I'd feel free to use that tank for something else, as long as you have a hospital tank.

faun

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Norwich, England
I have 2 juvie F8 puffers with 3 mollies and 3 knight gobies in my 35g brackish tank and so far have had no problems, the knight gobies do an excellent job of stopping me have a million mollies. I have had no experience with chromides so have no idea if they would work.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I have read previously of someone who had to return their chromides because they were aggressive to their F8s. They are cichlids after all...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store