fish with a distended anal ? picture

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
This is my giant platy, she is so beautiful and she is a good eater and very active, but today I noticed this and she stopped eating. whats wrong??

fish tank 2-4-09 023.jpg

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I'm sorry she's having a problem. Wish I could help. Someone with more experience than me will be along soon, I'm sure.

I hope it is not an intestinal prolapse, but it looks sort of like that to me. If so, I don't know what the treatment is for it.

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
is she pregnant? shes mighty fat..if not you got a problem

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Looks like she could be pregnant/birthing... but if not it looks like a possible situation.. I leave this one to an expert

grannylvsfish

Dec 6, 2006
Montana
she is the only large platty in the mix of regular platy, she does look pregnant but Im not sure. maybe babies??

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Go to this link and there is a pic of a balloon molly with a prolapse. See if you think this looks like the same thing.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Freshwater-Aquarium-3216/2008/11/Balloon-Molly-w-poss.htm

There are some suggestions there to help, but I know there will be someone on this forum that will be more knowledgeable than anyone else.

One thing, as a precaution, is to remove to a tank by herself to prevent other fish from damaging her vulnerable area.

If it is a prolapse then fasting her for a few days and then feeding her tiny bits of cooked veggies;tiny bits of cucumber, carrots, english pea, romaine lettuce. All to help with constipation.

grannylvsfish

Dec 6, 2006
Montana
Go to this link and there is a pic of a balloon molly with a prolapse. See if you think this looks like the same thing.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Freshwater-Aquarium-3216/2008/11/Balloon-Molly-w-poss.htm

There are some suggestions there to help. One thing is to remove to a tank by herself to prevent other fish from damaging her vulnerable area.

If it is a prolapse then fasting her for a few days and then feeding her tiny bits of cooked veggies;tiny bits of cucumber, carrots, english pea, romaine lettuce. All to help with constipation.
I saw that and it does not look like that molly . I will put her in another tank tomorrow. tonight she is behind a plant so Im going to leave her. also if she is having babies she needs to be in a tank all her own.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I'm glad she doesn't look like that. I hope everything will be OK. Best of wishes for your little girl.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store