H. Inspector has ich - Please advise.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joolicious

AC Members
Hey everyone,

I hope this is posted in the right place, if not I apologize - I wasn't sure if I should post here or in Freshwater newbie.

So I spotted what looked like specks of dust on my hypancistrus inspector 2 days ago. There were so faint and so few that I could see so I decided to wait it out.

Today he definitely looks salted, which sadly confirms that he has ich.
Inspector is by far my favourite and I thought I had been very careful to not stress him out and give him and his mates the best conditions.

I’ve done a lot of reading but found some contradicting info and just want to make sure I use the best solution for mr. inspector AND his tank mates.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Water parameters
a) Temperature: 77
b) ph: somewhere between 7.4 and 7.8, unfortunately my test kit isn’t more precise.
c) Currently no test kit for GH
d) Currently no test kit for Kh
e) Ammonia = 1 and both Nitrite and Nitrate are at 0
f) Water change frequency has been once a week

2. Tank set up
a) Size: 15,9G
b) Substrate: small gravel
c) Filtration: AquaClear 150 Power Filter
d) Furnishings: 1 grotto, 1 piece of driftwood, a couple live plants (unidentified)
e) Other tank mates: 4 white cloud mountain minnows and 1 zebra nerite
f) How long has it been set-up: Setup Jan 5th
g) When was the last new fish added? February 8th (inspector and zebra nerite)
h) Foods used and frequency? Nutrafin max everyday and wardley algae discs every other day

3. Symptoms / Problem description

Inspector is covered with salt like speckles which looks like ich, has been hiding in grotto and looks like he is shaking.

4. Action taken (if any)
I’m about to do a 20-30% water change and slowly started raising temperature.

5. Medications used (if any)
None used yet.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
I wouldn't raise the temps just yet. Your ammonia should be 0.
An ammonia reading of 1.0 is very high. Ammonia exists in the tank in equilibrium of a harmful unionized form (NH3 ammonia) and a less harmful ionized form ammonium (NH4). Raising your temps will cause the equilibrium to swing to the more harmful side. I usually don't recommend chemical treatment- I usually recommend heat and salt, but not in your case, your tank appears not to be cycled (you do have ammonia and you don't have nitrate). In your case, I would suggest medicating for the ich. You really need to address the cycle- that is what is making the fish sick.

joolicious

AC Members
Hi Turbosaurus,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Temperature had only raised to 26 so far, so I'll maintain it there for now.

I made sure my tank was cycled before adding the very first fish.

I had waited 10 days and tested water before going to buy the h. inspector and tested again before adding it in - everything was at 0. Verified again 2 days later and everything was still at 0.

Any idea what could have caused the ammonia to raise since?

I dont use any cleaning products, and I think I'm rather careful to not overfeed; the fish always hurry to eat everything. Should I try feeding less?

I just did a water change, how long should I wait before testing the water again?

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
I made sure my tank was cycled before adding the very first fish.
How did you start the cycling process (i.e., what was your ammonia source)?

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
So it sounds like you cycled the tank with pure ammonia, then added the white clouds, and then about 10 days later you added the snail and the inspector? It could be just that the increased bioload from the snail and inspector caused a spike in ammonia. It can happen easily in young tanks. If that's the case, then the bacteria colonies should increase over the next few days until they can accommodate the new fish. In the meantime, you just need to do enough water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite under 0.25.
But it's weird that you don't have any nitrate. A fully cycled tank usually has some measurable nitrate, up to 20 is ok. How many plants do you have?

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
One more thing, did you try testing your tap water for ammonia? Sometimes the water treatment people add it.

joolicious

AC Members
So it sounds like you cycled the tank with pure ammonia, then added the white clouds, and then about 10 days later you added the snail and the inspector? It could be just that the increased bioload from the snail and inspector caused a spike in ammonia.
Yup that's correct. On top of that, when we came home with those two, we found what looked like 2 pond snails which most likely came from the plants. We spotted 1-2 ramshorns as well. I did remember reading somewhere that snails just by themselves could cause spikes in ammonia, so I wondered if that had anything to do with it. I haven't seen any of them in a couple days now though, but they are so small they could be hiding.

Looking back at my log, I'm noticing that 2 days after introducing fish+snail, the ammonia had raised to 0.25. I attributed it to the new inhabitants, I guess I should've kept testing everyday :T My Nitrite was at 0 then, and Nitrate at 5.

Originally, I had 3 potted plants. I've since seperated them and removed some so I couldn't say exactly.

I'm gonna test the water in just a bit and report back. I'll check the tap water too while I'm at it.

How often would you suggest I do water changes?

Thank you so much for all of the insight, I really appreciate it :)

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Do as many as you can to lower the ammonia to where its unreadable on your test kit.
I agree ^
It sounds like your tank is cycled, but the increase in fish and snails gave it a spike. Just keep changing water until the test is as close to 0 as you can get it. You'll have to keep up the changes until the bacteria colonies catch up with your bioload. You might also want a product like Ammo-Lock, Amquel, or Prime, which binds ammonia in a non-toxic form. Your test kit will still detect it, and the bacteria can still use it, but it won't hurt the fish.
This sounds like a good thing, but in my experience, the ammonia neutralizers make it difficult to tell when you really need another water change, because it's difficult to know if what you're seeing on the ammonia test is the toxic or non-toxic form.
But still, good products. I'm pretty sure they saved my fish in the past.
The reason I asked about the plants is that enough plants can keep nitrate readings close to 0, but three pots wouldn't be enough.
Hope that helps! Good luck! I know this didn't address the ich problem. Are you going to get a medication? If you can't use salt and heat, then Rid-Ich Plus is good. I used it once, very successfully, based on the instructions here: http://www.aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=27

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store