String-like Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I have a dilemma with one of my plants.

I have a string like algae growing on it, so far it has been suggested possible as BBA or staghorn, a picture will follow:

My question is, is it harmful and if so what is the best method to get rid of it, as my platy's seem to eat it occasionally.

IMG00066.jpg

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
The lights I have are a Compact Flourescent 2-65watt light (total of 130W)
Lights are on from 10am to 8pm (10 Hours)
It is a 29 Gallon Tank
The pH is around 7.2-7.4
Temperature is 74.5 F

In the tank I have 2 Corkscrew Vals, 1 Juncus Repens, 2 Red Lava Rocks, 1 Red Slate,
40Lbs of Eco Complete Planted Aquarium substrate, 10Lbs of Medium gravel.

The Fish I have are:
3 Red Phantom Tetras
3 Gold Twin Bar Platy
1 Red Platy
1 Spotted Pleco
6 Cardinal Tetra

I recently did a water change, a full one because I removed the old substrate and and gravel.

I don't use any CO2, I haven't put in any other chemicals other than the water conditioner, other than today where I put in 5ml of Flourish Excel, and about 2ml of Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the planted aquarium.

Also I have a bubble maker, it's one of the vibrating ones, placed below the soil/gravel.
The plant was suggested to be a 'Crypt'

Last edited:

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Thank you for the help, I'll change that now, until I can get CO2 set up, what kind of ferts would you recommend? And what should I use to clean this off of the plant, I think it has spread onto a Lava rock on further glace too, so I may just take out the Rock and pour some boiling water over it and clean it also.

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
I have the same stuff on my plants, but much worse. I started a thread about it, and just answered it before reading this. If you don't take care of the problem quickly, it can spread all over. I think it's hair algae, but am not positive.

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Would you recommend that I just take the plant out completely?

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
As much as I didn't want to I have taken the plant out of the aquarium to prevent it from spreading, but have stilled toned down my lighting until I can get CO2 and/or ferts. I will be looking at getting more plants, especially some Hemianthus Cuba.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store