Sooo.. can you go overkill on plants? =/

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FL CommunityFan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2008
Packages from Mg came in today, and being to total and utter novice to aquascaping I was very excited.

Just a note to first time gardeners/handlers of plants... it sucks BADLY the first time. =D To me, the tank currently looks like a monstrosity but I'm hoping in time I'll figure out what to do with things. I attached everything with rubber bands across the middle of the rhizomes so that the rhizomes would keep contact with the light.

Any suggestions? Current lighting is a Hagen T5HO dual light ficture with a LifeGlo(6700k) bulb and PowerGlo(18000k) Bulb

FL CommunityFan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2008
i think it looks coool, not sure how well your plants will like the 18,000 K light though.

Whether it'll be used at all or whether it will harm them? I originally got it to make the fish colors pop a bit more with the blues.... I wasn;t able to find anything in the 10k range

stussy28

AC Members
Apr 22, 2008
Buffalo NY / State College PA
I think the setup is awesome. Definitely different. I think shrimp would look really cool in there and you'd be able to have a ton. The only drawback at all is the rubberbands and they will be removed eventually when everything roots. When they do, it will look so cool. Very interesting scaping.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
i kinda enjoy the jungle look. i cant seem to make my tank look like takashi amano's no matter how hard i try

nice first attempt. and you have a lot of plants to start with. once they start filling in its really going to look nice with driftwood and rock peeping out between the plants

FL CommunityFan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2008
thanks for the positive posts. Aside from how things are 'scaped' as I literally just threw it in there as I got it rubber banded I'm worried about it becoming an expensive salad bar. I think I'm gonna end up chancing it and seeing how things go. I really want to keep some escondido and gt's and thought I'd be ok with anubias and java ferns.... Worst comes to worst the fish end up as store credit I suppose.

debaric

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
N.J.
www.myspace.com
Whether it'll be used at all or whether it will harm them? I originally got it to make the fish colors pop a bit more with the blues.... I wasn;t able to find anything in the 10k range
It certainly wont harm them however 18000k is lopsided in the color spectrum in that the plants will be using mostly blue side of it. I think the bluer end of the spectrum would look great in a planted tank but im just not sure that youll get the same growth as you would from a bulb in the 5000-10000 range.
There isnt anything you cant find on the net if you search around.

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
could have used black sewing thread in stead of the rubber bands

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store