Carbon dust - black water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pnad

so newbie it hurts
Mar 18, 2009
racine, wi
Ok, I'm a man and as such oblivious to reading directions.

I put some carbon into a nylon and tossed it into my sump without rinsing it first. A black cloud quickly spread through my tank. Whoops!

Oddly enough my six little neons seemed to love the darker water. They are the only inhabitants right now.

Is this going to settle out or should I start changing water?

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
should be fine in a little while... I did the same thing

pnad

so newbie it hurts
Mar 18, 2009
racine, wi
Whoo thank sweet tiny baby jeesus!

I thought I would have 6 belly up black lung neons when I get home :)

bettabrat

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
CT
Ok, I'm a man and as such oblivious to reading directions.

I put some carbon into a nylon and tossed it into my sump without rinsing it first. A black cloud quickly spread through my tank. Whoops!

Oddly enough my six little neons seemed to love the darker water. They are the only inhabitants right now.

Is this going to settle out or should I start changing water?
ROFL! I think we've all been guilty of that once or twice. :evil_lol:

shwank005

Mmmbeer
Feb 20, 2009
Morgan Hill, CA
Next thing to watch out for is when you add driftwood... soak it first or it'll make your tank water look like pee.

drtechno

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
it will be fine. suff some polyester fiber fill after the carbon. but carbon is useless in a tank after 3 days or so, so after about a week throw that carbon out and use poly only. if you have plants in the aquarium they will provide the chemical filtration function and the carbon will do nothing but strip the water of what they are feeding off of.

if you want dark amazon water ( what the neons are native to) add a nylon sac with peat moss in it. watch your water chemistry. you should have a drop in ph. amazon water is ph 5-6.7 but the kh sould be moderate. and the water will soften too.

neons are light sensistive and they refuse to breed with any light present in tanks. they are mostly found in dark shaded places in the wild.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Whoo thank sweet tiny baby jeesus!

I thought I would have 6 belly up black lung neons when I get home :)
:lol:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store