RCS vs. Amano

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I'm fairly new to shrimp in general, but I have the opportunity to get 40 RCS locally for $20, including about 10 mature adults.

I'm looking to put the majority of them into my 5.5g tank, and possibly a few of the larger ones in my 29g community tank, and in my Platy/Individual Platy fry tank.

If anyone has some concerns about the above, please let me know.

I have been reading some posts, and one of the reasons I was looking into shrimp to begin with was algae control, I've been seeing that people point to Amano shrimp as being one of the best for this, but how would the RCS compare.

Would they still be fine for this purpose?

I hear the RCS are also fairly easy to maintain as opposed to other shrimp and are better suited for varied conditions.

I would like to still get the RCS, but also I was hoping that they would be able to assist with my hair algae.

Thanks in advance everyone! :)

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
I'm fairly new to shrimp in general, but I have the opportunity to get 40 RCS locally for $20, including about 10 mature adults.

I'm looking to put the majority of them into my 5.5g tank, and possibly a few of the larger ones in my 29g community tank, and in my Platy/Individual Platy fry tank.

If anyone has some concerns about the above, please let me know.

I have been reading some posts, and one of the reasons I was looking into shrimp to begin with was algae control, I've been seeing that people point to Amano shrimp as being one of the best for this, but how would the RCS compare.

Would they still be fine for this purpose?

I hear the RCS are also fairly easy to maintain as opposed to other shrimp and are better suited for varied conditions.

I would like to still get the RCS, but also I was hoping that they would be able to assist with my hair algae.

Thanks in advance everyone! :)
If you are getting these for algae control get the amano's. The best cure for algae is a properly balanced tank. Hope this helps, good luck! :)

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
If you are getting these for algae control get the amano's. The best cure for algae is a properly balanced tank. Hope this helps, good luck! :)
Yeah, my issue with the balanced tank is that my light is way to powerful 2x65w CF (130w with both on), I only leave one on, and I still am over 2wpg, using only DIY CO2, and occasional diluted dosing of Excel.

But thank you for the advise, and the take on Amanos :).

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Cherries are too small to really eat hair algae. The cellulose of the algae is too tough for them to pull apart to eat. They will eat biofilm algaes. Amanos are more suited to eat hair algae as they are a larger shrimp.

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
Yeah, my issue with the balanced tank is that my light is way to powerful 2x65w CF (130w with both on), I only leave one on, and I still am over 2wpg, using only DIY CO2, and occasional diluted dosing of Excel.

But thank you for the advise, and the take on Amanos :).
How are you diffusing your co2? I would up my excel dosage schedule. I like a lot of light! Do you have a lot of plants? Any pics of your setup?

I really think you'll like the Amano's. I know mine have personality! :)

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Ok so the signs seem to point to get Amano Shrimp, but how large do they get, and are they similar to the "algae eating shrimp" who apparently can hop about 4 inches out of the water, and crawl around like a cockroach?

BoCoMo, sadly I don't have a method of diffusion for my CO2, I was thinking of putting something together, but for the time being I just try and keep it as low in the tank as possible, as to maximize the use of it.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Ok so the signs seem to point to get Amano Shrimp, but how large do they get, and are they similar to the "algae eating shrimp" who apparently can hop about 4 inches out of the water, and crawl around like a cockroach?
heh, that is them! Caridina japonica, aka yamato, aka algae eating shrimp aka amano shrimp

They get about 2"

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
i hear a cigrette filter works for co2.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
amanos get to be the size of a cherry barb. they're not tiny like cherries. they are not going to crawl around anywhere out of the water, if they get out, they're gonners. I agree about the personality, they are fearless in my tanks, granted they're almost bigger than the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store