Update: Substrate change / UGJ installation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
Decided to change the crushed coral to sand recently, and since I was breaking down the tank anyway, I've also decided to build an under gravel jet system to keep the poop off the sand and eliminate the majority of dead spots between the rocks.

I'm using a penguin 1140 pump (300 gph) (the half inch vinyl hose peice fit just right into the ph's output as well as the threaded pvc fitting) with 6 jets (doubled the recommended, since I didn't want too much output from just 3 or 4, I've also went with 90 degree elbows, instead of 45's for the same purpose). Glued some sand to the pvc pipe as well to better mask it for when cichlid dig it up, so you wouldn't see a white pipe sticking out.

The flow is pretty good, doesn't blow the sand all over the place, but does keep the debris from settling down, long enought for the filter intakes on either end to pick it up.

So anyways here are some pics of the progress (water was still murky right after I added the sand so bear with it, will post some updated pics later):

100_6870.JPG 100_6871.JPG 100_6872.JPG 100_6889.JPG 100_6892.JPG 100_6888.JPG 100_6893.JPG 100_6899.JPG

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
Thanks. I've pretty much gave up on live plants, had anubias before, that at first were growing just fine, but overtime went brown and from what I've assumed started dying. Even the silk plants that seem to slowly deteriorate under water (I don't get it, they do look nice and very close to natural, but what's the point), even the fish started nipping chunks out of it later on. So I just got these plastic ones, very easy to clean and won't break down, not too natural, but just about the only "plant" I can have in my tank, or so it seems.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice!

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
Another fun project :) Hows it working so far ?

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
thats a great Idea! I just changed my Substrait from gravel to sand. I wish I had thought of this when I did my swap. I guess I could always tare back into it? What size is your Bow front?
Arkangel77

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
Thanks guys :)

Fishrod it's working good so far, the tank seems to be circulating the water flow all around, whirl pool jacuzzi style :), don't see any poop in between the rocks or in the back where it's harder to get to with a python, so it'll make water changes alot easier now.

Arkangel it's a 46 bf, for a larger tank I'd suggest using at least 2 pumps so the flow will be a little stronger.

BTW I've used the new Gorilla glue super glue for gluing the sand to pvc, works alot better than any other cyanoacrylate I've tried so far (it has some type of rubber particles in it so it dries similar to silicone).

P.S. use proper ventilation when working with it, doesn't seem like anything, until you start getting high and begin to clog up your sinuses, I thought I've poisoned my cat when he was running around with slobber all over the place :)

Last edited:

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
It's a beautiful tank. I like the way you arranged the rocks. It's very natural looking, and I would have never guessed that the plants were artificial if I only looked at the end result.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store