Flourite Feedback?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ramphonic

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
MA
I am contemplating replacing my river pebbles with Black Flourite Sand. I was wondering who uses it and if they have any photos/feedback??

Also trying to find the cheapest online supplier. I think Drfostersmith is going to be it but I couldnt get a shipping quote due to the holiday.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It's very fine. To surface clean in my 10g shrimp tank I swirl a small gravel vac above the top to get the waste up off the sand. I lose a very small amount each vac. The plants like it & the cherries look great on it but they don't like the swirl action. I usually have to rescue a few babies from the bucket.

I added some black Estes marine sand to try & keep the dust-sized flourite down, it's a little heavier. Not sure I'd do it in a big tank with big fish (& big waste), seems like you'd lose more each vac to get the waste up.

No pics, no camera

Ramphonic

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
MA
So its real light. Is there something similar that is heavier that would work in a planted tank.

I also looked at colorquartz. (coudnt find any close) and Tahitian Moon Sand (heard its bad for Cories)

I would still like to get some photos of the black sand flourite.

Thanks

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
picture it as black beauty sand but larger 2x granules for the sand and about 4~5x that size for the black flourite

kittylikesfishy

AC Members
Apr 29, 2009
MI
There is one big problem with sand that you may want to be aware of... The fact that it starts to clump and ends up with stagnant areas that hold toxins. Because of this you have to be sure to stir it up every so often, not just the surface area. I had a aquarium with a layer of laterite on the bottom and then mixed black tahitian sand and larger black gravel. This still didn't solve the problem of the stagnant areas. The result was losing just about every fish I had despite every thing to try to remedy the resulting bacterial infections. The only solution was a complete tear down. I would recommend several layers of larger sized gravel, such as laterite or flourite or plain gravel, topped with the desired sand with a mix of smaller gravel. This will help keep down the stagnant areas. Also, sand that becomes stagnant will turn black, course this does no good to tell you when it does when it is already black. Hope this might help.

Ramphonic

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
MA
There is one big problem with sand that you may want to be aware of... The fact that it starts to clump and ends up with stagnant areas that hold toxins. Because of this you have to be sure to stir it up every so often, not just the surface area. I had a aquarium with a layer of laterite on the bottom and then mixed black tahitian sand and larger black gravel. This still didn't solve the problem of the stagnant areas. The result was losing just about every fish I had despite every thing to try to remedy the resulting bacterial infections. The only solution was a complete tear down. I would recommend several layers of larger sized gravel, such as laterite or flourite or plain gravel, topped with the desired sand with a mix of smaller gravel. This will help keep down the stagnant areas. Also, sand that becomes stagnant will turn black, course this does no good to tell you when it does when it is already black. Hope this might help.
good to know. What do you recommend that is larger? will plain black gravel be better?? I put some of that in with my river pebbles to displace the larger voids.

chesterthehero

AC Members
Apr 19, 2008
corona, ca
i use 60 lbs of regular fluorite in my 55 and LOVE IT. its needs to be washed really well, but a cheap plastic collander and a hose with an adjustable nozzle (so you can get a high powered stream) works wonders. just rinse it a little at a time several times and it wont be so bad. it will still cloud up your tank a bit, but my plants grow insanely fast even under 2 watts per gallon of light. i dont run co2 and i dont use root tabs or tons of fertilizers. i run a capful of excel about once a week and a little fluorish maybe every two weeks. i have to trim my plants down once a week or so. its fantastic. none of my fish have shown any issues with it, including cories and plecos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store