Planted 33 Flat Back Hex (Many pics!)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I'm taking the plunge into a so called high tech planted tank & I know how everyone here loves photos so I am sharing. :)

I got the tank and stand for free from keithnj (Thanks!) I built a canopy for the tank & I was going to stain the stand but the stain covered too differently from the old stand and the new wood canopy so I painted it. I also had to reseal the tank.

And then there was a break in picture taking...
(excuse my hand prints all over the tank! had to put it on and off the stand so many times trying to shim it up by myself!)

MORE in next post....

keithnj

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
new jersey
wow that looks awesome- great work! can i have it back now? lol just kidding. well done- cant wait to see more pics

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS

So the tank specs....
33 gallon flat back hex (36"x12"x20")
2- 55watt ahsupply kit (9235k & 6700k)
Fluval 303 (setup for mechanical filtration)
30+lbs of Flourite black sand
Pressurized Co2 (10lb tank, Ma957 regulator, red sea reactor)

It will have stem plants, java ferns, anubias, moss... all the usual stuff! Stocking is still up in the air but it will have small schooling fish, corys & inverts.

So far this is all I have to go into the tank! (From Manzanitadude)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Looks great. You do some good work.
Thank you! I enjoy the work way too much! :)

wow that looks awesome- great work! can i have it back now? lol just kidding. well done- cant wait to see more pics
No way, this baby is mine now! :silly: Thanks a lot! :D

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Excellent - excited to see the updates!
Thanks. I'm excited to get started already! I ordered the first batch of plants today & the wood is soaking!

StarStruck8

AC Members
Jun 9, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Lindsay
I love flatback hex tanks..can't wait to get one of my own one day! :) I love how painting the stand black brought it from old and outdated to new and modern. Its amazing what a coat of paint can do!

I'll be watching for updates!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I love flatback hex tanks..can't wait to get one of my own one day! :) I love how painting the stand black brought it from old and outdated to new and modern. Its amazing what a coat of paint can do!

I'll be watching for updates!
I really like the shape of this tank too. I am very happy with the transformation of the old stand to the new stand! The paint was supposed to be black but they messed up and gave me a charcoal which actually turned out nice.

I like the job you did on the stand and canopy, very nice looking! Any ideas for stock yet? I love following these tank build threads!
Thanks! I am really trying to find something DIFFERENT for the stock but so far I am looking at white clouds, meteor clouds or ember tetras with a school of habrosus corys plus some shrimp & snails. I was considering green neon tetras too. I am definitely open to suggestions!! I just want small schooling fish. Stay tuned for more updates! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store