Embarrassing update...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I am more than a little bit mortified to have to share these pics with you all...but I need some :help2:

Some of you may remember my new goldfish tank thread in the Gallery:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215598

Well, this tank has a bad, and I mean BAD, case of diatoms. Take a look!

At first it just started out on the silk plants, but now it's everywhere. I have theories:

1) The white churt (rocks) I'm using are reflecting too much light
2) The lights I'm using are an improper spectrum (2x 15W GE Aqua Rays bulbs, 2x 15W GE Chroma 5000k bulbs)
3) I didn't rinse the pool filter sand at all (figured it looked clean enough) and it's leaching stuff into the water column
4) The cold water (it's 68 degrees) is contributing somehow

This is honestly the worst breakout of diatoms I have ever had in a new tank. Since it's cold water, there's no way I can add any algae eaters except maybe olive nerites. I am seriously tempted...but do you all suppose this will go away on its own?

Live plants are hornwort (two big bunches from Petsmart that are exploding with new growth, especially the one on the side with the window...oddly enough that one doesn't have any more algae than the other side) and Anubias, which is covered in diatoms also :(

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Oh, and I don't know the water parameters, sorry! I ran out of test kits sometime last year and I haven't bought any - I rarely test my water anyhow because everything does great all on its own. My rock hard well water keeps a super stable pH.

But the tank got a mature filter from the 29 gallon the goldfish were in previously (an AquaTech 30-60) and a new Cascade 500 added on to that. I've changed 50% of the water so far, and the tank is almost a month old. The water has no smell whatsoever, it has yet to get that sweet soil smell but at least that mineral-ey smell of new sand is long gone :) (That lasted the first couple of days)

DSCF1059.jpg DSCF1060.jpg DSCF1061.jpg

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
taller, faster growing plants will provide shade for your other plants and keep them from the diatom coverage. as for the rest of it let it go away on it's own. it's perfectly normal.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I hope so. It's hard to wait though...even my roommate was like "what happened to your beautiful tank?!" ugh.

Does anyone know if olive nerites eat diatoms? Even if they don't, I still want one :) I have a Columbian ramshorn in there and he's always entertaining to watch! Thought about getting an apple snail, but don't want a baseball in my tank...already got two big round goldies ;)

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
yes they will... not much though... more like squiggly trails of cleanliness.

lake_tuna

AC Members
Dec 14, 2009
I hope so. It's hard to wait though...even my roommate was like "what happened to your beautiful tank?!" ugh.

Does anyone know if olive nerites eat diatoms? Even if they don't, I still want one :) I have a Columbian ramshorn in there and he's always entertaining to watch! Thought about getting an apple snail, but don't want a baseball in my tank...already got two big round goldies ;)
Get a few otocinculus. They will take care of that brown stuff in a couple of days. It worked for me.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
You might want to pull that anubias up out of the sand a little. You can leave the roots buried, but leave the rhizome out. Otherwise it will rot away.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Thanks, I gave it another little tug upward...I thought I had enough of it out but now I can really see the rhizome, so I think I've got it placed properly now.

You wouldn't happen to know of any goldfish friendly (or rather unfriendly ;)) fast growing floating plants, would you? I have some anacharis floating, the guys haven't touched the stuff. But they sure ate the hell out of my Amazon frogbit! Mellowvision gave me a huge scoop - now I'm down to maybe 1/8th the portion, lol

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
So I've decided the problem is probably the pool filter sand leaching silicates. A test kit seems to be about $16 for 75 strips. I don't think it would hurt to add some silicate absorbing resin just for an experiment.

Any recommendations? Seachem's PhosGuard seems like it might work, or ROWAPhos, but I'd most like to use Chemi-Pure Elite to get the benefit of the carbon...

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
^ Oto's also have a history of becoming a very bad meal for goldfish when the goldfish get big enough. Oto's have spines on their fins that get lodged in the goldfishes mouth. Often killing them both. Obviously not a good combo.

I used to have WCMM in with my goldfish as well. I started with 32 - over the course of 3 months the numbers reduced to 0. I only found one body of a fish on top of the glass.

As diatom breakouts go that's not really that bad. The light colored rocks and sand just make it stand out more. This pretty much is to be expected when you are working with live plants.

The best thing to do is to scrub off all of the surfaces and then do a couple large water changes. I've never found a snail or fish that you can keep with goldfish that can control the stuff.

So there are two methods to eliminating them.

1. Reduce the lighting. Getting the light levels down low enough not to grow algae. I only run 80W of light over my 125 gallon tank. I still get some BBA though. Unfortunately if algae can't grow most plants can't either.

2. Add in a ton more plants that the goldfish will not eat. Healthy actively growing plants will help. However some goldfish will eat or shred everything. I got a big comet called Beast who just enjoys shredding any plant. He doesn't even eat most of them. I find all of the remains in the filter. He's torn apart java moss, Java fern, anubis, elodea, and swords. But then again all goldfish are different and some don't bother live plants much (like Beast's five other tankmates).

Good luck and have fun scrubbing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store