GRRR...live aquaria

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WaterBug

AC Members
Sep 8, 2007
So my friend and I both have planted tanks and we were in need of some fish. My tank has been up for about 2 years, and hers for about a year with really no problems. We decided to go in on an order with liveaquaria together so we could split the shipping. I love Foster and Smith (the parent company) and I have never had a bad experience with them, so i was very confident in ordering fish from them. We ordered
-4 flame gouramis (2 ea)
-6 yoyo loaches (3 ea)
-3 german blues (1 me, 2 her)
-10 black neons (all her)
- 2 cories (all her)

5 of the neons were doa, the rest dies within 24 hours, one of the germans was doa, one died 48 hours later, mine is in quarantine with ick (I do understand they are very susceptible to this). The cories died. The gouramis are doing fine, as are the loaches. I could deal with all that b/c liveaquaria will credit you for any fish that die within 14 days of receipt. however, the 6 yoyo loaches were actually tiger loaches (link to loaches online) ie COMPLETELY unsuitable for community aquariums and an adult size of up to 12 inches.

I'm just GRRR. I only just discovered the true nature of the loaches this morning and I have yet to call liveaquaria, but I don't know what I am supposed to do with these tigers! are they going to want me to send them back? I don't have the equipment to properly package them! I WILL NOT be paying return shipping fees on something that was the wrong item. if they don't want them back, what do i DO with them? i could take them to a LFS, but I would want to be sure they went to a good home...

Just had to rant a little....

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
Wow...that sucks

Well if I've ever heard a valid reason to give a company a ****storm

You definitely have a VERY valid case to do so...I would call them and give them a BIG piece of your mind

Not only did almost 90% of the fish die within' 48 hours...but they didn't even send you what you ordered...I would give them as much crap as you can dish out and get it fixed

Now you're supposed to ship back 6 Tiger loaches? Totally unnacceptable

Just call them...state your case and that you are unequipped to send them back in an acceptable fashion...They should be willing to fix it asap if they actually care

Good to know also...I won't be ordering anything from them in the future

spacefish34

Sep 2, 2009
Bedford,TX
Real Name
Chris
i have never ordered livestock from the mail.i know people say they have luck with it.however,save for my friends in the marine hobby,ive seen and heard too many bad experiences with mailorder fish.just my 10 cents...

Scuppers

AC Members
Jan 8, 2010
Oklahoma
Wow!!!! scary, I would probably be using them to stock a new 75g, now I'm not so sure.

Keep us all posted on how the Drs. treat you regarding this...

Good luck...

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
I just have to say this becasue I've used them before and will again in the future. I once ordered some 20 or so neons and about half didnt make it. I called them up and with no proof or problems at all I was given a credit. Not sur ehow they will handle the wrong fish because of the logistics but in my experience they will take care of you.

WaterBug

AC Members
Sep 8, 2007
I agree their customer service is great! I never meant to imply they were a horrible company, and I apologize if i gave that impression. Their arrive alive and stay alive guarantee cannot be beat, even by many local fish stores.

I guess i am just frustrated by the whole situation of lfs vs online. My local stores have very limited selection, and for many once you walk out of the store, that's it. Online you have a wider selection and better warranty on the livestock, but shipping can be prohibitive and doa's and/or wrong item can make using online services more of a hassle than it should be.

I am calling them this afternoon, and will keep you all updated on the outcome. If they give a satisfactory response, i will have no problem recommending them (with a disclaimer) to anyone in the future.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I have dealt with then plenty and have never had anything less then excellent customer service..

call them and I am sure they will work with you .

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
I love Drs. Foster and Smith. When I first started in the hobby I used live aquaria to research everything about fish I wanted. Most of my first choices were because of them. I found out later that a lot of there info on fish is wrong. Some of the fish aren't even what they say they are. Sizes wrong, temperments wrong, same with there plants. I was surprised to know they were the same company as drs. foster and smith.

WaterBug

AC Members
Sep 8, 2007
So, we called Liveaquaria on sat and they did indeed refund all our money plus shipping. They were very apologetic and prompt. since sat, the tigers have killed 3 of my long time tank mates, including my first ever tank born baby, as well as one of the new gouramies. They ate the eyes and stomachs out of my and my friends cory cats. I spent a good three hours trying to catch them yesterday and had to pull out 90% of my live plants to do so, but they are now safely in a holding tank till I can drive and hour to the only LFS I trust. I wish I had the room to set up a species only tank because despite everything, they have loads of personality and are great fun to watch.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
I'm sorry for your losses

at least it's good to know the problem was solved with absolutely no friction whatsoever...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store