Dumb tank + stand question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

geekpryde

AC Members
Dec 30, 2008
Maine, USA
I have a dumb, dumb,dumb, question.
About an hour ago I bought a used (from 1997, yikes!) 75 gallon tank with an MDF tank stand. When I got it to my office where I am going to set it up, I noticed that the person who had it seemed to have had the stand up-side-down. The part of the stand that I think is the top is all roughed up, like it had been dragged around on the ground and scuffed up from many years. To me, this means the top of the stand has been used as the base. So, see the below photo and tell me if I am crazy. I have it set up so that base has a solid shelf across the bottom, and the top is wide open, with all the weight distributed down the four corners. This is how my 29 gallon is setup, and I bought that new (tank and stand) and everything fits perfect. This 75gal tank does not seem to fit perfect on this stand, as the tank glass does not sit flush to the sides of the stand and there is not a little lip that the tank drops into. Did I get sold a stand that is not for a 75 gallon tank? Like I said, these are all dumb, lame questions from a person who thinks they know a little about aquariums. But I am putting this out to the forum members, prepared for all the shame that will come with it, so that I can get this **** used tank setup correctly.

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
Looks like you have this set up correctly. They don't necessarily have to have a "lip" where the tank frame sits, as long as the tank frame is making solid contact all around the perimeter of the stand. When you look at the contact areas all around, can you see space between the tank frame and the stand? There should be no space.
Andy

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
How vital is it for the base to touch all around? My metal stand only touches my tank in the 4 corners. Tanks been up and running on it for over 8mo.

kYle223

AC Members
Dec 27, 2009
as long as the tanks not bigger than the stand your ok
some stands are built like that because it makes the tank look less bulky
mine does the same thing
just make shure the tank is evenly placed in the center of the stand before you put water in it
when i set mine up i dident get the edge of the tank parallel to the stand
AND NOW IT'S 500 POUNDS AND DRIVES ME CRAYZE

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
looks fine to me. Metal stands that bow in the middle are fairly common, and a non-issue. You can shim the tank if you like, though.

USMC2171

AC Members
Feb 14, 2009
Camp Lejeune, NC
You'll be fine as long as the weight is evenly distributed across the stand, and that comes in with the everything being relatively level. You should be ok, enjoy the new aquisition!

Last edited:

geekpryde

AC Members
Dec 30, 2008
Maine, USA
Looks like you have this set up correctly. They don't necessarily have to have a "lip" where the tank frame sits, as long as the tank frame is making solid contact all around the perimeter of the stand. When you look at the contact areas all around, can you see space between the tank frame and the stand? There should be no space.
Andy

OK, good, so I am not nuts. I have the tank evenly centered, no gaps between tank and stand, which is good. It freaks me out a bit though, because the water in this tank is going to weight a ton, and when I look at the thin MDF that carries all that weight, I get scared. The MDF where the frame of the tank contacts the stand rests on another MDF board, but they are offset from one another, so it would seem to me that effectively the MDF can only support 1/2 the weight you would otherwise think based on its thickness. If I am not making any sense, check out the pic. I assume if ALL MDF tanks stands are made this way, it must be an acceptable design?

I'm just nervous because this tank is so old. I haven't even told you guys about the cracks in the plastic frame on the tank yet...

This is a shot from beneath the tank.

jaekwon01

AC Members
Sep 27, 2009
Are you sure its MDF it looks like chipboard in the pic ?
In the first pic, the base board that the tank sits on looks like 2 pieces, are they the ones that are different thicknesses in the 2nd pic ?
Once the tank rests evenly on the base board all should be well, though some polystyrene may help any small inbalances( I use the foam thats used with semi-solid floors)
MDF and chipboard aren't the best materials to use with water (spillages,cracks etc) as they warp, swell and lose shape. Though most stands are made of it.
If in doubt as to the integrity of the base board, you could always place your own baseboard down across the top of the stand, then put the tank on it.

geekpryde

AC Members
Dec 30, 2008
Maine, USA
Are you sure its MDF it looks like chipboard in the pic ?
In the first pic, the base board that the tank sits on looks like 2 pieces, are they the ones that are different thicknesses in the 2nd pic ?
Once the tank rests evenly on the base board all should be well, though some polystyrene may help any small inbalances( I use the foam thats used with semi-solid floors)
MDF and chipboard aren't the best materials to use with water (spillages,cracks etc) as they warp, swell and lose shape. Though most stands are made of it.
If in doubt as to the integrity of the base board, you could always place your own baseboard down across the top of the stand, then put the tank on it.
You know, I think you are correct. This is more fibreboard/ chipboard than MDF. The horizontal board is seperate from the verticle sides of the stand that travel to the ground, and you are also correct, where these boards meet is what is shown in the second pic, (shooting from inside and below the stand).

I am not sure I understand the benefit of laying a flat peice of MDF across the top of the stand. My concern is that the stand is not transfering the weight to the ground in a safe manner, since this flat top to the stand is ultimately resting on these thin and off-centered particle boards, that concern would remain.

Others have said this stand looks normal, so I think I will be alright. If I flood my office with 75 gallons one day while it cycles, I guess 'ill know. :lol:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store