Looking for some advice, considering a planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tbirdie

AC Members
May 6, 2008
Hi all!

I currently have a 6.5g long aquarium. It's the length of a 10g. I had it for my beta, but he died a month ago and I'm ready to get something in there so I don't keep looking for him. Right now it has: gravel substrate, fake plants, 2 ottos, 2 algae eating shrimp, 1 ghost shrimp.

I've always wanted to have a planted aquarium, and I am reading up on it now. I'm trying to get a feel for how much work having a planted aquarium is. The "pro" I talked to at a local mom & pop store made it sound like a fairly easy thing it pull off, and I'm having a hard time believing it could be so.

Now, there is a lot going on below. I wasn't sure where to post this, freshwater or planted. I'm hoping I'm in the right place.

I love my tank, but I wonder if it isn't time to move to something a bit larger. I have a 20 g long aquarium in the garage that I'm considering re-instating as my main tank. It's the same length as a 29g. I would be trying to plant it, and then transferring my current fish family over. I would then like to add a school of 8 Harlequin Rasbora and 4 Ghost Catfish to the tank, but I'm not sure if I should wait a certain amount of time or not.

I also have the option of purchasing a 29 gallon tank (this is all for my birthday), so if you think that's better, let me know. I have a 50 gallon long at home, but I just can't find a good place to put it in the new house. I like my fish where I can see them a lot, and that tank would have to be hidden off in a side room. I've got 30" length to work with in my space.

I am considering purchasing this 30" stand: http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/classic-pine-stands-canopies.htm
with an Aqueaon Deluxe full hood.
(if you know of a stand you like better for the same price range, let me know. This one would be $119.99)

I cannot remember the filter he suggested, I think it was Aqueaon... something that was suppose to be a nice quiet flow that doesn't cause too much surface disturbance to maintain good levels of CO2.

I don't have any heater recommendations yet. I heard one person say they liked the Rena SmartHeater, 100 w?

So, question #1 - The truth about planted tanks... is it going to take up all my spare time, or once I get it established it will be fairly easy to maintain? Scare me off if need me! I need a reality check because I'm too excited going into this.

question #2 - 20L or 29g, will either work for what I'm wanting? The 20g Long I have already, and one would be extra $$.

question #3 - do you think this is too many fish for my tank size?

question #4 - any problems/suggestions about equipment?

question #5 - do you have any plant suggestions for me just getting started? Something hardy and easy to maintain would be great.

And anything else I missed?

I know this is a lot of information to ask. But I know you guys are great and if anyone will know the answer... the right answer... it's going to be this community! I know there are multiple things to consider here, and I REALLY appreciate your time. I was devastated when Modiggly died. I think my friends thought I was retarded for crying over a fish. I figured, for my own sanity, I needed a new project now, because every silly shadow in there looks like my old betta.

THANKS!

SidtheMonkey

Hey, I'm really a woman.
Mar 26, 2010
Outside Seattle, WA
The 20 long will be easier to light for plants, since it is shallower.

Stocking seems ok.

I tried a few different filters and settled on Aqua Clear power filters almost exclusively yrs ago...so simple, total workhorses...I can do just about anything with them and you can add all sort of additional media to the filter box. Note: dont use the carbon inserts with any filter that you get for a planted tank. Carbon absorbs the nutrients that plants use.

Planted aquariums can be as much or as little work as you want. I've never used CO2 and had lovely lush planted tanks. And some were almost no extra work.

Easy and medium light plants would include java fern, bolbitis, Amazon swords, crypts, anubias, hygrophila (I love willow hygro), water sprite, anacharis...and there are many other nice stem plants that will grow out lush in medium light without CO2.

Also aponogeton bulbs are great.

The stem plants would require some pruning, but that's easy too. I think plants help keep down algae in a tank...as long as you dont over fertilize. And you dont have to fertilize either, unless you want to...it just makes the plants grow faster. If you do, there are fertilizers you pour in the water and those that are tablets you can break up or use whole and put next to the roots in the substrate. The liquid provides nutrients to algae too, so keep that in mind. If you have some of the fast growing plants, they help take up nutrients more quickly.

I like floating plants for soaking up tank nutrients too....like frog bit, water lettuce, salvinia. Their roots hang down into the water and they are right near the light source. They do a great job of taking out nitrates.

An easy way to start is with a plant substrate like Flourite (which you can put under your preferred gravel or sand) and a minimum of 2 watts per gallon of light. There are newer different spectrum lights that can really enhance plant growth. And then with some of the more easy plants, some of which I listed.

And I'm really sorry about Moddiggidy.

tbirdie

AC Members
May 6, 2008
Thanks Sid, this is really helpful! I think the filter cartridge he showed me was a 2 - in - 1, with carbon in the middle and your "mechanical filter" on the outside. I don't know much about filter media. The tank I have now is just a biological filter. If not Carbon, then what do you suggest?
Also, they told me its better to not use treated tap - water anymore. I always suspected this, but can you confirm?

PS From my reading I gather it is not really a great idea to cycle a planted tank before adding fish in, because the plants need the fish waste for food. Is this correct? Do you think it would be safe to set it up and add my current fish family over to it immediately? Or wait a period of time? I figure I should atleast wait, no matter what, to add the NEW fish in.

Last edited:

tbirdie

AC Members
May 6, 2008
Well, he said something about tap water having a lot of "extras" in it, and that some of them are not good for plants. He said they have phosphorus or something phosphoric in it that is bad for plant growth?

Dr. Awkward

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Texas
No, that's crazy talk. The "extras" are minerals and nutrients that your plants need to grow. It's like free fertilzer. If you use bottled water you have to spend extra money on suppliments to put all that good stuff back.

tbirdie

AC Members
May 6, 2008
Well snap. I am VERY glad to hear that, thanks so much for weighing in!!
Let me know if you have any opinions on any of the rest of my million-and-one inquiries. :)
lol

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
I'm just getting into planted tanks myself, and setting up a 20g long ... so of course I'm full of opinions! :)

If you use your 20g, you'll have more money for plants and fish, yay, but you do have to be aware of tank height when choosing plants. A 12" tank isn't very tall, and you really only have 10" of visible space (in a traditional framed tank), and the substrate takes up some of that. You might want to stick to plants that are a bit shorter and/or slower growing so you're not constantly needing to prune.

You might want to read up on Deep Sand Beds in freshwater aquaria while planning your tank and before buying a filter unit. DSB tanks are very low maintenance and excellent for growing plants, and should suit your existing/planned stock, which don't require high water current, tons of hardscape or a bare tank bottom. :) Here's an article about DSBs by AC member DeeDeeK, who has several long-running threads on the subject.

Caveat: a DSB will significantly reduce the vertical space of your tank, as it's a 3-inch substrate. I'm just setting mine up now, and it takes some getting used to in a 20g long, lol ... but I think the benefits will be worth it.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Bettas really do steal our hearts, don't they?

Dr. Awkward

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Texas
The easiest tank I have is my Diana Walstad style tank. Once you get it all set up all you have to do is top off the water every once in awhile and overfeed your fish. Also, you don't have to do water changes! I have healthy fish, great plant growth and no algae, can't say enough nice things about this method.

I also vote for the 20 gallon long, mainly because you don't have to splurge on fancy lights with the shallow depth. Also, I think it's a little bit easier to start small on planted tanks so you don't feel overwhelmed right off the bat.

As for your fish, you will have plenty of room for all your current fish plus lots of room for new fish. You could get some more friends for your otos, add a whole school of new fish and maybe get another betta if you want one.

As for plants, lighting really drives what you can do but you have plenty of good options with a basic set up. If you already have a lights figure out your watt/gallon ratio. Anything around 2-3 watts per gallon and you're good for most plants. Under that and you'll need to look for low light plants, above that you'd need to start looking into CO2 options and fancy high light plants. I just pick out stuff I like and try it out. One good rule of thumb is that the less expensive the plant, the easier it is to grow. Some good starting plants would be bacopa, water sprite, cryptocorynes, and vallisneria.

tbirdie

AC Members
May 6, 2008
Thank you! I was hoping to hear that, as I would like to get a centerpiece fish. Any suggestions on what might fit nicely in a tank that size?
UPDATED: I mean in addition to: 2 ottos, 2 amano shrimp, 1 ghost shrimp, and new additions: 8 harlequin, and 4 ghost catfish. if there is room?

Also, is there a particular article you would recommend on the Diana Walstad method, or any ol google result should work? The first few links I found did not load anything

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store