FS Algae Gel Mix | 03452 shipped

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
This is a powdered food mix that I developed for my otos, plecos, and turtle. Nothing ground-breaking, but I like it and thought my fellow-hobbyists might like it too. (You can read my first customer's review here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225714.)

I only have a few cups available right now, but if there is a lot of interest I can order more supplies. If you want a formulation different from what I have listed, PM me and we'll work something out.

Scroll all the way down for photos.

Algae Gel Mix #1
===============================

Ingredients (by volume):

1 part agar
6 parts spirulina
6 parts spinach

Algae Gel Mix #2 (with calcium)

Ingredients (by volume):

1 part agar
4 parts spirulina
4 parts spinach
4 parts calcium citrate

Pricing
0.5 cups - 5.50 shipped
1.0 cups - 8.50 shipped
1.5 cups - 11.50 shipped
2.0 cups - 14.50 shipped

2.5+ cups - PM for quote

Please note that these are dry powder volumes. You should get approximately four times that volume in prepared food.

How to Prepare

1 part mix
4 parts water

For example, 2 tablespoons of powder mix with a half cup of water. This makes a pretty stiff gel that holds up well in the water. For a softer gel, use more water. For a stiffer gel, use less water.

Stir it together well, boil it, and then pour into a container or mold (steel jar lids work well), or pour/paint onto a flat surface (like slate or tile).

It sets up quickly at room temperature, so you need to pour it into your molds right away or it all gets stuck to the sides of whatever container you used for boiling. I use a regular drinking glass in the microwave, though you have to be VERY careful to watch it because it will boil over quite quickly.

For mix #2, the calcium tends to settle to the bottom because it is more dense than the other ingredients. This is not a problem as long as you shake up the powder before use, and stir the mixture thoroughly during preparation.

Storage

The dry powder can be stored at room temperature in a sealed container. Once it has been prepared into gel, it should be stored in the refrigerator and used within a few days.

Photos

_MG_3725_sm.jpg
The ingredients. Sorry I didn't get the calcium in there. Everything is from bulkfoods.com. If you want to order your own ingredients, I recommend them.

_MG_3875_sm.jpg
Regular mix on the left; mix with calcium on the right.

_MG_3876_sm.jpg
What you get. (Half cup shown.)

_MG_3727_sm.jpg
Add water, stir, and boil.

_MG_3734_sm.jpg
_MG_3738_sm.jpg
_MG_3739_sm.jpg
Pour it into molds or onto flat surfaces. (It does peel off the flat surfaces within about a day, but it still holds together in the tank.)

_MG_3746_sm.jpg
_MG_3823_sm.jpg
_MG_3824_sm.jpg
Everybody loves this stuff!

_MG_3725_sm.jpg _MG_3727_sm.jpg _MG_3734_sm.jpg _MG_3738_sm.jpg _MG_3739_sm.jpg _MG_3746_sm.jpg _MG_3823_sm.jpg _MG_3824_sm.jpg _MG_3875_sm.jpg _MG_3876_sm.jpg

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
I am in. Have you tried baking vs. boiling?
I have not tried baking, but I see no reason it wouldn't work. According to the Wikipedia article, agar melts at 185*F and solidifies from 90-104*F, so I would think that any method you use to get it hot enough would work. It does not have to be that hot for very long. I microwave it until it boils, watch as it bubbles up the glass (takes only a few seconds), pull it out right before it boils over, and immediately pour it. Works like a charm. I love that agar gels at room temperature and stays gelled in the tank.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I am in" ...?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I was just wondering because boiling veggies reduces alot of their nutritional value.
I am in means expect a pm, I will try it :)

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
I was just wondering because boiling veggies reduces alot of their nutritional value.
That is a good point. One way or another, you do have to get the mix above 185*F. I suppose you could heat the agar separately and then mix in the other stuff, but in my experience there isn't time to do that before it starts to set. I suppose baking would have the advantage of not going over 185*F. Boiling obviously brings it to about 212*F.

I am in means expect a pm, I will try it :)
Fantastic! Can't wait to get your feedback.

topazmoon62

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
Rougemont, NC
Do you feed this to your other fish Or just to the plecos, otos, and cats? I would love to try it on my fish. I know my plecos will eat it up. How often do you feed this to your fish. I wonder if my cichlids would like it as well.

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Awesome product! Once my community tank is up and running, and I actually have fish, I'll be pm'ing you.

Maybe if you keep offering it to the rescued cory, he'll figure it out?

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Awesome product! Once my community tank is up and running, and I actually have fish, I'll be pm'ing you.
I look forward to it!

Maybe if you keep offering it to the rescued cory, he'll figure it out?
I keep trying, but so far I'm just making the pond snails in that tank really happy. :p:

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store