40g Breeder Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
WARNING: I post lots of details & pictures! :D

This will be an upgrade for my 33g flat back hex & combined with my 10g RCS. I had 8 tanks setup and my goal is 2, my Mbuna tank & this planted tank, since I will not have loads of time since I am now working 3 jobs. So it is a downsizing upgrade. :D

40g Aqueon Tank (36x18x16) $ 43.00
-$1 per gallon sale at Petco, yay!
Oceanic Stand $ 14.00
-I have this stand from my 56g salt setup I was given. I spent $14 on stone craft to repaint it so it still matches the 56g should I ever use it.
Ehiem 2213 $0
-From the 33g, need to upgrade, probably to a Sunsun
Powersweep 214 $7.50
-On sale at Petsmart, using it for extra circulation until I upgrade the filter
2-55 AHSupply Kits $0
-From the 33g suspended above the tank, want to upgrade to 3x39 T5HO with individual reflectors & plugs
10lb CO2 Tank $0
Milwaukee Regulator $0
-both from the 33g
Inline Reactor $0
-DIY Rexx style from the 33g, might upgrade to glass diffuser because it cuts down on the flow so much OR I will get an oversized filter and make a inline reactor/heater
150W Stealth Heater $0
-already owned
Red Sea DC $0
-from the 33g
Mineralized Top Soil $3.00
-DIY, $3 for the soil, clay & potash
Black Sand Flourite $0
-from the 33g to top the MTS
Manzanita Wood $0
-Some from the 33g, some I already had
Moss Rocks $4.00
-just got them today but they seem a bit too brown when wet so we will see

Total so far - $71.50 :dance2:

So I have NO idea what kind of theme I am going for as far as layout, plants or fish. But the initial fish will be...
8 Ember Tetras
7 Otos (somehow all 7 survived :huh: )
15+ Amano shirmp
50+ RCS
~5 Green Babaulti
1 Magenta Brig
1 Zebra Nerite
??? MTS

I'd like schools of green neons, ember tetras & habrosus cories with a few Otos, amanos & rcs. I really love green neons but they are hard to find and don't like my water so that probably won't happen.

Current plants to be transferred over
Willow Hygro
Asst. Crypts (bronze, green & parva)
Fissidens fontanus
Unknown red plant
Rotala indica?
Anubias nana
Anubias petite
Tropica sword compact
Dying narrow leaf java fern
Dying needle leaf java fern
Dying Tawian moss
(I can't keep java ferns & mosses alive, go figure!)

Parameters from aged carbon filtered well water
pH - 8.2
Kh - 9-11
Gh - 9
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates -0
Phosphate - Possibly a trace, too hard to tell
Iron - unknown, need a test kit (I have high iron in my water naturally that is why it is ran through the carbon filter first)

A lot of research indicates that my hard alkaline water might be my biggest problem in my past planted tank woes, even with CO2 injection. If I have trouble with this tank too I will get an RO unit.

On to the fun stuff!
2 slightly different wood arrangements, I'm not thrilled with either one though. I have been struggling with the hardscape for a LONG time. Sorry they are so dark, only overhead lighting used.
Option 1

Option 2 - moved the archy piece to the left pile because it looked a too mimicked.

The rocks were just used for support, they will be replaced with moss rocks & the towel gravel will be replaced too. :) The middle stick on the right clump is supposed to be more to the right but it fell down, just noticed that. This is also not the tank's final resting place, it'll be moved to the right to line up with that wall more.

I will take pictures of the rocks as soon as I finish cleaning them. The wood in soaking right now and I will be picking up some plants tomorrow.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
That wood is awesome! Looks like a great start.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
thinking of r/o? may i suggest firstrays.com? he's local to me and an orchid hobbyist known pretty well on orchidboard.com. yes, i did get a system from him and i am absolutely pleased with it. mine is the 100gpd, 5 stage unit. the unit came with the 3 gallon reserve tank, replacement filters to get me through the first year and the faucet for ~$220 shipped. absolutely a steal with the same quality as much higher priced systems i've seen elsewhere.

at any rate, check it out for yourself... then compare prices... https://www.firstrays.com/cgi/cart/commerce.cgi?product=RO&cart_id=1278965918.202&exact_match=on

most systems i see with similar prices are 24gpd...

congrats on the consolidation upgrade. nice wood... you'll work it out. ;)

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
YAY!

I just wanted to pipe in and say I have super hard water with a Ph of 8.0 out of the tap. I have had a lot of success keeping anubias, crypts, wisteria, and various mosses. There are a couple plants in my 29 gallon that are growing well that I cannot remember the name of, it's some type of Ludwigia. I have also grown in the past hygro, dwarf sag, and some rotala. That's just with low-med light and no C02. I go to local fish auctions and gets stuff for really cheap. It's a lot of trial and error but I have found many plants that survive well in my water.
I also kill java fern :(

fastlight81

AC Members
May 22, 2010
It is looking great. I like what you are doing and taking your time. I really wish I would have spent more time thinking about hardscape on my planted. I like the first wood picture the best. Im no expert so just maybe a thought...what if you took the big tall piece on the left and layed it more horizontal..and keep what you have on the right...almost seems as if you have to much vertical going on. Just a thought. Keep up the good work...and keep posting the pictures!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
That wood is awesome! Looks like a great start.
Thank you.

thinking of r/o? may i suggest firstrays.com? he's local to me and an orchid hobbyist known pretty well on orchidboard.com. yes, i did get a system from him and i am absolutely pleased with it. mine is the 100gpd, 5 stage unit. the unit came with the 3 gallon reserve tank, replacement filters to get me through the first year and the faucet for ~$220 shipped. absolutely a steal with the same quality as much higher priced systems i've seen elsewhere.

at any rate, check it out for yourself... then compare prices... https://www.firstrays.com/cgi/cart/commerce.cgi?product=RO&cart_id=1278965918.202&exact_match=on

most systems i see with similar prices are 24gpd...

congrats on the consolidation upgrade. nice wood... you'll work it out. ;)
Thanks for the suggestion. Water chemistry is so complicated! :) I really envy people who just throw some fish or plants into their tanks and have great success.

YAY!

I just wanted to pipe in and say I have super hard water with a Ph of 8.0 out of the tap. I have had a lot of success keeping anubias, crypts, wisteria, and various mosses. There are a couple plants in my 29 gallon that are growing well that I cannot remember the name of, it's some type of Ludwigia. I have also grown in the past hygro, dwarf sag, and some rotala. That's just with low-med light and no C02. I go to local fish auctions and gets stuff for really cheap. It's a lot of trial and error but I have found many plants that survive well in my water.
I also kill java fern :(
What is it with the java fern!? It is one of my favorite plants but I have never had it survive. I am hoping with my new resolve to dose and maintain this tank properly (without having to worry about 7 others) I will be able to grow anything, even java ferns. :lol2:

very nice. love that tank size. thats the size i wanted for my first tank :)
I love the 40g breeders! When I actual know what I am doing with planted tanks I want a rimless 40g breeder.

It is looking great. I like what you are doing and taking your time. I really wish I would have spent more time thinking about hardscape on my planted. I like the first wood picture the best. Im no expert so just maybe a thought...what if you took the big tall piece on the left and layed it more horizontal..and keep what you have on the right...almost seems as if you have to much vertical going on. Just a thought. Keep up the good work...and keep posting the pictures!
Thanks. I would like some more horizontal pieces too but I couldn't get it to work. That large piece on the left sticks out of the top of the tank so it is too long to have horizontal without moving the whole piece to the right so far that it interferes with the right piece - or - if I turned it the other way it really hurts the flow of the wood (like if the longest piece was going to the right instead). I'll see what I can do about getting more horizontalness (yes I made up a word). :)

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
Thanks for the suggestion. Water chemistry is so complicated! :) I really envy people who just throw some fish or plants into their tanks and have great success.
tell me about it. it is a lot easier when you're starting from scratch though. a little baking soda, gh booster and ei dosing according to your goals and basically you're good to go. i had a disease breakout when the water company was cleaning out the water mains last summer and had a crash course in rain water constitution that saved me arse. it's what's already in your water that makes it difficult IMHO.

thank goodness i wasn't one of those people who can just toss things in a tank. i would have had no primer lessons to gain from.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks Chrisinator!

That is the main benefit of RO water, you can make it into whatever you want! I'd be happy to collect rainwater to use too but my roof is really old and who knows what kind of chemicals have been used up there. Glad you were able to save your fishies!!

I am boiling the rocks right now. While I wait I will go read some more about planted tanks, I love the learning/setup stage! :read:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store