Fluval C2 ongoing review

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I recently ordered the fluval c2 power filter and it cam today so I thought I would post an ongoing review.

The reason I am making this thread here and not in the reviews forum is because this will be an ongoing review. Meaning I will be updating this thread multiple times when I have had the filter for a longer period of time. I would also like to discuss this filter with other members of the forum. This review will also be more picture based.

That being said, here is the review.

The fluval c2 is a relatively new power filter. It has five stages of filtration (2 mechanical, 1 chemical, and 2 biological).It also has the re-filtering flow control found in the Aquaclear filters. One of the tings that I like about this filter is the wet/dry stage. The wet/dry stage consists of a drip plate which sits over a container of c-nodes biological filter media. The water trickles over the c-nodes which exposes the beneficial bacteria to both air and water.

The water first flows through a coarse foam mechanical filter before passing through a fine floss pad which is attached to the back of the foam. The water then passes through the chemical filtration media. The water then flows through the submerged portion of the biomedia (in the same container as the wet/dry only it is further down in the container). There is also a small spout that delivers water straight to the bioscreen which sits on top of the wet\dry drip plate.

It is definitely powerful enough for a ten gallon aquarium such as the one I have it on but I would not use it as the only filter on a larger aquarium.

In case anyoneis interested, here is alink to where I bought it: http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-C2-Pow...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1278967262&sr=8-1

Here are some pics:

This is the c2 with all the parts:
c2 all parts.jpg

The drip plate and bioscreen:
c2-dripandbioscreen.jpg

Here is the foam side of the mechanical pad:
c2-foam1.jpg

Here is the floss side of the mechanical pad:
c2-floss.jpg

Here is a pic of the c-nodes:
c-nodes1.jpg

Here is a pic of the adjustable length intake tube ( the tube is fully extended in this pic):
c2-intake.jpg

Here is a pic of the wet/dry stage in action:
c2-wetdry.jpg

Here is a pic of the filter set up and running with no cover:
c2-running no cover.jpg

And finally here it is fully set up and running with the cover on:
c2-running covered.jpg

I find the filter very easy to use.

So far I would definitely recommend this to a friend:thm:.

Please comment.

c2 all parts.jpg c2-dripandbioscreen.jpg c2-floss.jpg c2-foam1.jpg c2-intake.jpg c2-running covered.jpg c2-running no cover.jpg c2-wetdry.jpg c-nodes1.jpg

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I'm really intrigued by that wet/dry section incorporated into the power filter design. I have to say that it looks quite impressive.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Definitely an interesting design. Seems kind of pricey for only filtering a 10g tank, and I have to wonder how much all that media affects the output rate and evaporation. Definitely interested to hear what you think in the long term.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Never quite understood why a wet/dry would be incorporated into a power filter.. just seems like that's overshooting it. Certainly interesting though.

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
Very nice :thumbsup: i would say this fitler looks very nice. do they make it in any larger forms? if i were to buy one i think i would wait and see what deals come up on ebay.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
Very nice :thumbsup: i would say this fitler looks very nice. do they make it in any larger forms? if i were to buy one i think i would wait and see what deals come up on ebay.
They do make a larger c3 model and an even larger c4 model.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store