Chrisk's First Saltwater Tank (Journal)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChrisK

AC Members
Aug 10, 2008
Sulphur, LA
Hello everyone, after keeping fresh water tanks pretty much my entire life, I have decided to dedicate the time and investment to doing a saltwater reef tank. You can find the background for this journal on this thread. http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230503
Many thanks to Greech and other who answered my rookie questions at the beginning (I'm sure I'll have many more).

Equipment:

29 Gallon Aquarium
Cpr Bak Pak 2 Protein Skimmer
35 Pounds Live Rock
40 Pounds Live Sand
Tetra Whisper 45 Hob Filter (Running Carbon, and Floss)
Current Sundial 4x24 watt T5 H.O. Fixture 2x10k, and 2x460nm acitinic
1 Koralia 3 Powerhead, got a 2 on order

Livestock:

(2) Ocellaris Clowns
Yellow watchman Goby
Pistol Shrimp
2 Blue Leg Hermits
3 Red Leg Hermits
5 Margarita Snails

Here is a progression of the tank from day 1 of the 3rd week till today, not much really just a rescape of the rocks, new light, and livestock photos. I've started this journal at the fun part where I'm about to start adding some corals :)
I plan on this being an LPS dominated tank, with some softies/Mushrooms thrown in. Comments suggestions, critiques welcome. I will try and update this at least 2 times per week thanks for looking.

104_0452.JPG 104_0484.jpg 104_0490.jpg 104_0502.jpg 104_0512.jpg 104_0520.jpg

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Great start. Just take your time and stay on top of the tank. Much less margin for error compared to your planted tank. Speaking of which I found myself think that would be a nice reef tank. Upgrade? :Angel:

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Clean Crisp Start nice

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Nice start, I can't wait to see some corals on those rocks.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Looks like you're off to a nice start. Glad to see you have some chunkier pieces of rock and not a large pile of smaller pieces. I hope it's stacked nice and stable, so your goby doesn't cause it to shift too much once he really starts digging in.

I would agree that taking your time will pay off in the end. No need to rush... It'll come together quite well in time.

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
fsn - I was curious to know what type of lighting you have on your 90 gallon?

ChrisK

AC Members
Aug 10, 2008
Sulphur, LA
Thanks everyone for looking, and for the comments. I am definitely going to take it slow. I've got a quick couple of questions.

1.) I was thinking of running the lights 8 hours each per day, but seeing is there is nothing to grow in there, is this too much for now, I don't want to have an uncontrollable algae outbreak. Suggestions?

2.) My LFS has a lots of nice corals. I was thinking of going Saturday and buying a couple of them. I was thinking of adding a Toadstool Mushroom, and about a 15 Polyp, orange Zoa Rock on Saturday. Any objections, suggestions? They have everything you could think of at this LFS, so any suggestions of a different hardier coral I should add before these let me know.

Jerzboi

AC Members
Jan 13, 2009
Pine Level, NC
Real Name
Brad
Very nice chris, everything is turning out great so far, I'll be watching
:popcorn:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store