need filtration advice on a 75 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hahnd37

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
I just bought my first tank It is a used 75 gallon tank. Going to pick it up tomorrow. According to the guy it has 65 pounds of live rock, a crushed coral bed, and an aqua clear filter(all for $250). I already know that I am planning on replacing the coral bed with mostly sand and possibly a small bag of live sand to seed it. I also want more live rock. What I am wondering is if I should switch to a sump and protein skimmer system, or if it would be adequate to just run this filter with the live rock and get a backpack skimmer? Any thoughts on this or other suggestions?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Skip the live sand.. you would be wasting your $. The live rock will seed any new sand you put in quickly. You can also use/mix in a few handfuls of the crushed coral into the sand to give it some texture.. that is ok to do.

As far as a sump... if the tank is not drilled for a sump it can be a big extra cost to add an overflow box/sump. If you are wanting a reef tank, then yes, I would recommend a sump, but if your just doing a Fish Only tank, then you can do fine without one, just get yourself a nice hang on back skimmer for the tank. MarineDepot.com sells AquaMaxx skimmers (look like the Warner Marine H1/H2 skimmers) or go with a Reef Octopus.

Last edited:

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
I would not worry to much right now just get the darn thing up and running then get some extra equipment later. I don't think you need a skimmer right of the bat , give it a little time ( baby steps) LOL

good luck M8 you well just love your aquarium

hahnd37

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Thanks for the advice. Do you think it will be possible to just reset it and start it up again since i am planning on bringing 6 18 gallon totes for water and liverock along?

hahnd37

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
also, if i take the crushed coral out, can i just add the sand later or should it be in before i add water

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
well i would put the sand in after the rock , if you put the rock on top of your sand bed most likly they well settle and shift over time and you could have a small avalanche in your aquarium, this happen to me once and my blenny never had a chance :( . I would just add the Live rock and sand use the filter that is supplied let the tank cycle for awhile cause you well have some die off just shipping the stuff . What kind light fixture do you have , and what type tank you setting up (reef, FOWLR)

I would go with a sump later on and a skimmer but not needed for the next month or so anyway

hahnd37

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Thanks jody, got the tank tonight. It looked great all set up at the guy's house. want to clean it a little first. It had a little fish in it(unexpected). Planning a fowlr right now. Want to make the showpiece of the tank a snowflake eel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store