My Successful DIY CO2 Build (Pics & Walkthrough!)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

patrick.paul

Geek Inside
Jul 13, 2010
NorCal/Bay Area
Real Name
Patrick..
Hey guys -

So I decided to take the DIY CO2 plunge for my planted 10g and thought I'd document my build for fun! I set this up about 2 days ago so I have no growth results yet but so far it's going pretty well!

Sorry if my walkthrough is short.. I spent about 45 minutes writing this up and my browser crashed when I submitted so I had to start from scratch....

I decided to go with the recipe posted by cobfreak in the DIY CO2 newbie support group thread.

activate yeast:
1/4 cup hot water (105 - 115 degrees)
1/4 teaspoon sugar (for yeast activation)
3/4 teaspoon yeast

heat water to 105 degrees f, stir in sugar. Dump 3/4 teaspoon yeast into spinning mixture.

main mixture:
2 cups sugar (for main mixture)
? warm water (to fill bottle to shoulder)
1 teaspoon? baking soda

once yeast is activated, poor sugar and 2 cups water mixture into bottle. Or poor them separately and mix them in the bottle. Once that mixed, and with the

water not too hot, add yeast mixture from above. Then add baking soda. Then fill the rest of the bottle with warm water, up to the bottle's shoulder (leave some space.)

First step was to setup the plumbing. I'm using a 2L for the reactor and a mini plastic soda bottle for the gas separator and bubble counter. My tubing is the black silicone tubing available from Pet*mart (or any Chain/LFS store really..)

First step was to drill the holes to get the tubing through the bottle caps. I used a 3/16" drill bit for the hole, cut the tubing at an angle, and pulled it through with pliers.

For the bubble counter I used a section of rigid tubing to make sure it went deep enough into the container. I pulled silicone tubing through and shoved the

rigid tubing in to extend it.

I did a quick fit test before I siliconed. You'll notice the check valve after the 2L to prevent back-siphoning!

For the silicone I chose an aquarium-safe DAP silicone I had lying around..

I siliconed fairly generously on the outside of the cap only. I didn't do the inside because the tubing is snug enough plus I didn't want to get any in the

threads of the cap..

I let it all cure for 24 hours before heading into the kitchen!

You'll see just about everything I used here:

- Fleischmann's RapidRise yeast.
- Sugar
- Water at 105F
- Measuring cups
- Funnel (not pictured)
- Baking Soda (not pictured)

From the recipe above I did the following:

activate yeast:
1/4 cup hot water (105 - 115 degrees)
1/4 teaspoon sugar (for yeast activation)
3/4 teaspoon yeast

heat water to 105 degrees f, stir in sugar. Dump 3/4 teaspoon yeast into spinning mixture.
This gave me this delicious mixture:

Next, I added 2 cups of sugar to my 2L and enough of the 105F water to hit the shoulder of the bottle (my final mixture had 4" to the top).

I mixed them all and sprinkled 1tsp of baking soda before capping!

You'll see that I also filled the bubble counter about halfway with water so I'd be able to see when bubbles came out of the rigid tubing!

I set it next to my aquarium and shoved the tubing into the HOB intake (temporary because it's loud to hear the bubble hit the impeller every second or so)

I went to work and came back that evening to... BUBBLES!

I'm currently getting about 1 bubble per second but I haven't done any CO2 ppm measurement. After another day or so I'll use the degassing method to figure it out!

I'll update you with growth results, I hope you enjoyed my DIY build! Not the first, or the last, but hopefully it helped SOMEONE.

Comments/Questions/Concerns appreciated!

Best Regards,
Patrick

DJDrZ

AC Members
Jul 31, 2010
Collegeville, PA
Hey guys -

So I decided to take the DIY CO2 plunge for my planted 10g and thought I'd document my build for fun! I set this up about 2 days ago so I have no growth results yet but so far it's going pretty well!

Sorry if my walkthrough is short.. I spent about 45 minutes writing this up and my browser crashed when I submitted so I had to start from scratch....

I'll update you with growth results, I hope you enjoyed my DIY build! Not the first, or the last, but hopefully it helped SOMEONE.

Comments/Questions/Concerns appreciated!

Best Regards,
Patrick
Very nice, just finished mine. It's so nice to see that the easy stuff is really doable...

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Nice job and nice tank! Watch that Water Sprite...once that CO2 starts taking affect, it's gonna grow like popcorn in hot grease. ;)

patrick.paul

Geek Inside
Jul 13, 2010
NorCal/Bay Area
Real Name
Patrick..
Nice job and nice tank! Watch that Water Sprite...once that CO2 starts taking affect, it's gonna grow like popcorn in hot grease. ;)
James -

The water sprite you sent me is filling half of a 29g.. When the 4 plants arrive I let them grow for a few days and completely tore off all of the existing foliage and kept just the new growth. I also planted an entire patch of just little plantlets to see how fast they would grow.

I now have around 30 water sprite plants.. most around 6 inches but some are 12-16"!

Now to see what CO2 does to them!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
you'll be beatn off with a stick in no time. ;)

andyjs

AC Members
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
Nice!
I did basically the same setup, but on my 29 with 2 2L bottles. For the tops for my 3 bottles (2 CO2 generators and the bubble counter bottle), I got rubber stoppers from the hardware store and 4 1.5-2" lengths of thin copper tubing (don't remember the actual size, but whatever size fits best to attach the silicone tubing) and inserted these through the rubber stoppers. I had previously had trouble with the silicone seams leaking when I used the method you did and these tops solved that problem.

Also, is your bubble counter full of just water? Before I added the smaller bottle, I was having problems with the CO2 system producing a milky slime inside my bubble ladder. I was told that running the CO2 through a bubble counter like that full of salt water would help, and it did. I also eventually took out the bubble ladder and ran the CO2 straight to the filter like you have yours with great results.

OKCMike

AC Members
Aug 29, 2010
Oklahoma City
Real Name
Mike Upton
Excellent! If you plan to run it long term, I recommend you go to a local health food store. You can buy eight ounces of active yeast ( they will have it labeled brewers yeast but it is the same as the supermarket yeast) for less than you would pay for four ounces in the grocery store. Keep it in a sealed container in the fridge and it will keep fine.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Looks great P!

I'll deff have to use this to make mine once the plants arrive :D

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Shouldn't the water level in the 2 liter be UP to the neck though? Next time you do your mixture I would get the water level up to the next. I do the same setup and get bubbles in less than an hr.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store